Betta with an eye-deformity. Should I buy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

No!!! Don’t do it. Things always end up failing for everyone I know who tried it. I defended the sorority idea with tooth and nail because mine was “fine”’. For about 10 months I had a beautiful sorority of 11 female bettas. Then all hell broke lose! The stress they had all been living with caused Columnaris to break out. My fish were eaten alive with the disease. Lost all of them! It just stresses them literally to death!
Thanks, I've always wanted one but never could bring myself to chance the aggression factor and having to keep a replacement tanks, etc ..
You're comment seals the deal.

I’ve only ever known two keepers who have successfully kept sorority betta tanks long term and unfortunately both these member don’t frequent the forum so much anymore.

But it does take a lot of knowledge and know how on keeping bettas and sorority tanks, certainly not for the newbie or even for some experienced keepers to be entirely honest.

Quick update,

Fish was supposed to arrive today, but didn't, here's the tracking info. the seller sent me:

Tracking

I don't expect the fish will survive another night/day in the bag and I do not think I will ever order fish online again.

Oh dear!

Not sure if that’s the sellers fault if Royal Mail are slow to deliver your fish.

Unless seller has not labelled the parcel correctly or something like that.

Hopefully you’ll get the betta real soon and in decent health.

Fingers crossed.

That's my understanding too. The reason postage is usually so high is because of the licenced courier fees.

According to their website, Royal Mail permit fish fry but that's all.
Live creatures, insects and invertebrates
Accepted on Royal Mail services only. Prohibited by Parcelforce
Worldwide.
(including fish fry, coral, bees, spiders and some other insects)

Oh dear!

Not sure if that’s the sellers fault if Royal Mail are slow to deliver your fish.

Unless seller has not labelled the parcel correctly or something like that.

Hopefully you’ll get the betta real soon and in decent health.

Fingers crossed.

There's still hope. However, I assumed that the seller was using a 24 h courrier service and not RM.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. I've been in contact with the seller and she says:

" She's not in the cold. She has heat pack with 40h. Let me know when she'll arrive tomorrow. Sorry but it's not my fault. "

It's due to get very cold this morning aswell.

I just checked the temp of a spare unheated tank I have and it's reading 18 degrees right now, I expected it to be much lower as I keep my room quite cool, so perhaps it wont be too bad.

" She's not in the cold. She has heat pack with 40h. Let me know when she'll arrive tomorrow. Sorry but it's not my fault. "

Seems seller already being defensive, but let’s hope the heat pack/s will do the trick and the betta arrives healthy enough.

Have to remember it’s not your fault either so am unsure why seller would say this.

Btw I loathe folks who apologises with a ‘but’ afterwards, which kind of takes the apology away imho.

Fingers crossed it all works out ok in the end.

Have faith, the heat pack will do it's job providing it's packed properly. A friend of mine posted a betta which was never collected by the buyer and returned to him. He expected to find a dead fish, but instead found a perfectly happy and healthy betta! The fish was in the mail for atleast two weeks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back