Betta With A Tatty Tail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pablothebetta

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I bought a new betta a few weeks ago with fairly good fins - a couple of black edges, but I figured they might just go with clean water. However, I found this evening that they are looking rather tatty indeed - I don't think they we're like this yesterday, or even earlier.

It looks almost like little 'chunks' have been taken out, but I haven't spotted him tail-biting and he doesn't live with any nippy fish (he lives by himself in a 28L tank with snails and a few shrimp).

Any ideas? Pics to follow.

Fin rot. I'm dealing with the same problem at the moment. I awoke a day ago only to find my betta missing a portion of his tail. The black around your betta's finnage are ulcers, and are usually caused by high ammonia levels in the water. I change 20-30% of the water daily and add some aquarium salt + bacterial medications. When new finnage appears, its clear. Hope this helps

Some pics. Sorry about the poor quality.

2aigd2c.jpg

neykb6.jpg

Fin rot. I'm dealing with the same problem at the moment. I awoke a day ago only to find my betta missing a portion of his tail. The black around your betta's finnage are ulcers, and are usually caused by high ammonia levels in the water. I change 20-30% of the water daily and add some aquarium salt + bacterial medications. When new finnage appears, its clear. Hope this helps

Its a cycled and established tank though with regular w/cs, so I'm unsure why he'd have fin rot when it comes to water. There are some clear bits on the ends of his fins that he's had since I got him.

Found some Interpet anti-fungus and fin rot treatment in a cupboard earlier and decided to dose some as a precaution. I'm hoping it'll clear up the black edges on some of his fins that he's had since I got him.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back