Betta w/ a white parasitic worm

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dohaver

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
On the back rear, along her fin line is a white parasitic worm sticking out of her body. what can I use to treat this. I have to dose the 10 gal. community tank.
Pictures attached as best as I could take them, she moves so fast. I can see it move when she makes a turn.

Attachments

• 20180505_190231.jpg
    20180505_190231.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2,143
  • 20180505_185846.jpg
    20180505_185846.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 20180505_190417.jpg
    20180505_190417.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 845
  • 20180505_190006.jpg
    20180505_190006.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 567
A video link of my female betta. You can see the parasite on her, near her fin line.

Looks like a nematode worm. Remove all your water except enough for your fish to swim in. Treat water change with Levamisole Medication. It's about $10 on eBay.com. Sterilize all used utensils Leave medication in for 3 days. Empty and change water. Clean out and throw in garbadge any dead worms. May have to repeat process in three weeks to kill any worms that hatched from eggs.

I would add Prime or Safe water conditioner and detoxifier every day, until your tank stabilizes again in a week or so.

can't really tell from the pictures or video. It could be a juvenile anchor worm or excess mucous. It's in the wrong spot for a thread worm.

How long have you had the fish for?

Have you added anything to the tank in the last few weeks?

If you turn your phone on its side when taking video, the fish will fill up the entire screen and you won't have the black bits on each side :)

Looks like a nematode worm. Remove all your water except enough for your fish to swim in. Treat water change with Levamisole Medication. It's about $10 on eBay.com. Sterilize all used utensils Leave medication in for 3 days. Empty and change water. Clean out and throw in garbadge any dead worms. May have to repeat process in three weeks to kill any worms that hatched from eggs.

Thank you, I just logged on. This morning it was gone. I looked at all my fish and not another. So, before I read this I did a 75% waterchange, and used Seachum Prime for my water conditioner. I bought Seachum Paraguard at my local fish store. Started it today. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my call for help and I will update as I get through the duration of treatments.
I have raised the betta from as a babe. Within a month, I lost 2 ghost shrimp, a week apart. They turned white and found dead in the morning. Had them for quite awhile. But, I lost a neon tetra not soon after, it's body was turning white. Everything seemed fine as time went by. I was at my LFS and bought 3 cherry barbs. Fell in love with them, went back 3 days later and got 2 more. A few days later, 1 started to isolate itself with clamped fins and no eating. it had a little white patch on its body. I started to treat the whole tank with Seachem NeoPlex and the fish started to improve. Then of course I then see this white spot on my betta and realize something's not working. So that's the story.
Deb, Betta Fish Mom

Last edited:
can't really tell from the pictures or video. It could be a juvenile anchor worm or excess mucous. It's in the wrong spot for a thread worm.

How long have you had the fish for?

Have you added anything to the tank in the last few weeks?

If you turn your phone on its side when taking video, the fish will fill up the entire screen and you won't have the black bits on each side :)

I had my betta since she was a babe, she will be a year old this Summer. this month I had a series of events in this tank. I had 2 ghost shrimp die within a week a part. Found them dead and white. Soon after I lost a neon tetra, body turned white and died after a few days. (Now I know that neons get this desease. Don't know how it got in my tank.) time had passed, everyone was fine. I
bought 3 cherry barbs at my LFS. Fell in love with them, bought 2 more. Then 2 days later 1 of the 2 started isolating itself, clamped fins, not eating and a noticabke white spot near it's dorsal fin. I decided to use NeoPlex. A few days later the fish was better, white spot gone. Still using NeoPlex until I daw the white wormlike spot on my female betta. This morning it was gone. I went to my LFS and bought some ParaGuard. Treating for parasites now. Here is a video I just took of her and the tank. Thank you.

The Seachem NeoPlex is a strong anti-biotic and might have wiped out your filter bacteria so monitor the ammonia and nitrite for a few weeks. Do a big water change if you get any readings. It also won't have done anything to the white thing that was on the fish.

NeoPlex can cause kidney damage if used for too long.

Anti-biotics should only be used as a last resort to treat a known bacterial infection. They do not treat parasites, fungus or viruses and only treat bacterial infections. Using them without knowing what the problem is can cause long term problems to the fish, as well as wipe out the filter bacteria and cause water quality problems. And improper use can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can't be treated.

--------------------
Ghost shrimp go white when they die. If other fish in the tank start getting a white/ opaque appearance to their muscle tissue (under the skin) while they are alive, that can be a spironucleus (protozoan) infection. However, a photograph of the infected fish will be needed to more positively identify that.

--------------------
If you bought some new cherry barbs they could have brought something in. All new fish and plants should be quarantined for at least a month before being added to an established aquarium to prevent the possible introduction of diseases.

--------------------
Please tell me you did a 90% water change and complete gravel clean before adding the ParaGuard.

You should NEVER mix medications because you can poison and kill the fish.

The Seachem NeoPlex is a strong anti-biotic and might have wiped out your filter bacteria so monitor the ammonia and nitrite for a few weeks. Do a big water change if you get any readings. It also won't have done anything to the white thing that was on the fish.

NeoPlex can cause kidney damage if used for too long.

Anti-biotics should only be used as a last resort to treat a known bacterial infection. They do not treat parasites, fungus or viruses and only treat bacterial infections. Using them without knowing what the problem is can cause long term problems to the fish, as well as wipe out the filter bacteria and cause water quality problems. And improper use can lead to drug resistant bacteria that can't be treated.

--------------------
Ghost shrimp go white when they die. If other fish in the tank start getting a white/ opaque appearance to their muscle tissue (under the skin) while they are alive, that can be a spironucleus (protozoan) infection. However, a photograph of the infected fish will be needed to more positively identify that.

--------------------
If you bought some new cherry barbs they could have brought something in. All new fish and plants should be quarantined for at least a month before being added to an established aquarium to prevent the possible introduction of diseases.

--------------------
Please tell me you did a 90% water change and complete gravel clean before adding the ParaGuard.

You should NEVER mix medications because you can poison and kill the fish.

Yes, I did a complete wayer change before using the ParaGuard. I called Seachem tech support and they told me to use it until I believe there are no parasites in the water and the fish are behaving properly. The barbs love the new plant so they're all around it as well as the other fish in the tank. I soaked the new plant in ParaGuard and clean tap water. I'm going to use my API test kit and check the water parameters. Should I do another water change tomorrow?

Only if your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are elevated. And if you removed the filter. This is according to Seachem guidelines. I am glad you fish are feeling better!
If you took your filter out and you no longer intend to use the medication , then but the filter back in.
Continue to monitor fish behavior and toxin levels for a week. I also have the API Master Test Kit. Comes in handy for instances like this or starting a new tank or hospital tank.
You might consider adding Stresszyme (Tetra) Slime coat, or something like it. The fish have a natural slime barrier that helps reduce injury and help deter unwanted micro organisms from attacking the outer membrane of the fish. This natural slime coating may have been depleted during this time. Do not over dose with the Stresszyme. If you use Purigen remove it for a few days as the the Stresszyme may cost it and prevent it from functioning properly. If you don't use Purigen, you might consider it. It helps keep toxin levels down and added plus it polishes the water by making micro debris bind together and remove them from the bulk of the water. The debris in the water can compromise the respiratory system of your fish.
I had a sick fish recently, that was new from the fish store. I set up an aerated fish bowl as a hospital tank and removed the fish to for medication treatment. Often healthy fish in the tank can be uninfected by the presence of negative antigens. For this reason routine water changes with Prime or Safe added is important to keep the fish and their immune system healthy.
At least now you know all your fish are treated. Hopefully things get back to normal. Sounds like it's happening!---Mont.

Only if your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels are elevated. And if you removed the filter. This is according to Seachem guidelines. I am glad you fish are feeling better!
If you took your filter out and you no longer intend to use the medication , then but the filter back in.
Continue to monitor fish behavior and toxin levels for a week. I also have the API Master Test Kit. Comes in handy for instances like this or starting a new tank or hospital tank.
You might consider adding Stresszyme (Tetra) Slime coat, or something like it. The fish have a natural slime barrier that helps reduce injury and help deter unwanted micro organisms from attacking the outer membrane of the fish. This natural slime coating may have been depleted during this time. Do not over dose with the Stresszyme. If you use Purigen remove it for a few days as the the Stresszyme may cost it and prevent it from functioning properly. If you don't use Purigen, you might consider it. It helps keep toxin levels down and added plus it polishes the water by making micro debris bind together and remove them from the bulk of the water. The debris in the water can compromise the respiratory system of your fish.
I had a sick fish recently, that was new from the fish store. I set up an aerated fish bowl as a hospital tank and removed the fish to for medication treatment. Often healthy fish in the tank can be uninfected by the presence of negative antigens. For this reason routine water changes with Prime or Safe added is important to keep the fish and their immune system healthy.
At least now you know all your fish are treated. Hopefully things get back to normal. Sounds like it's happening!---Mont.

I do not use Puregen. I just started learning about Redox and I am using AAP Wonder Shells for healthy Redox Parametershttp://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Redox_Potential.html
I use Polyfilter as my filter material. I need to cut a new piece to put back in the filter housing. I'll pick up the Stresscoat solution. Good to know. Thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back