Betta very sick - EMERGENCY Please Help!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NewFrogger

Reaction score
My betta was doing fine a few days ago. I went on a weekend - long trip and left him in good hands. Upon my return, he was lying on the bottom of the tank not moving. He has barely moved today. I noticed a gaping hole in his side that the fishsitters apparently didn't see. It's a little white but not bloody. His color has been getting duller and duller for about a week. He still won't move unless startled or touched. It's not finrot because it's not on his fin - more like his belly/side. Maybe columnaris? I did some research and decided to put a teaspoon of Epsom salt in the water to prevent infection so that maybe it could heal? But the hole is HUGE - maybe 3% of his body mass has been eaten away by something. He lives alone in a five gallon tank that has been set up with a heater and filter for about 5 months. I really need him to get better. What else can I do?

My betta was doing fine a few days ago. I went on a weekend - long trip and left him in good hands. Upon my return, he was lying on the bottom of the tank not moving. He has barely moved today. I noticed a gaping hole in his side that the fishsitters apparently didn't see. It's a little white but not bloody. His color has been getting duller and duller for about a week. He still won't move unless startled or touched. It's not finrot because it's not on his fin - more like his belly/side. Maybe columnaris? I did some research and decided to put a teaspoon of Epsom salt in the water to prevent infection so that maybe it could heal? But the hole is HUGE - maybe 3% of his body mass has been eaten away by something. He lives alone in a five gallon tank that has been set up with a heater and filter for about 5 months. I really need him to get better. What else can I do?
Sorry didn't mean to like it. Anyhow photo of the fish and the full tank setup please. I'll try and change the like to a sad

Sorry didn't mean to like it. Anyhow photo of the fish and the full tank setup please. I'll try and change the like to a sad
I am using a computer - no picture taking device available sorry. I can try to describe any specific questions about the wound. What do you mean by tank setup?

Ok. My tank has five different live plants and two plastic betta leaves. Lots of fine gravel (probably too much), a fully functional filter, excellent water as of now, some algae but not too much, a few basic decorations, some plastic rocks, some real rocks that I deep cleaned, and is kept at 78-80 degrees. The fish used to live with a VERY healthy frog who got eaten by a cat and a Cory catfish who died suddenly of unknown causes about a month ago.

It's probably a bacterial infection and if it has gone through the side of the fish, then it's usually too far gone to save. If the fish isn't eating then I would euthanise it :(

It was eating just fine two days ago. I feed it every other day but I skipped today because he seemed like food wasn't a top priority. Figured it might help to not make anything worse by giving him more food. I do plan to euthanize him if he isn't at all better after two or three days of treatment. I just am trying everything I can to save him, you know?

Know what you mean. I’ve become fond of my little purple betta too. But I will always be far more bonded to my dogs and cats. It’s lIke the end of the world when one passes.

yes, bury your sweet little fish when the time comes.

Sorry to hear your betta is unwell....but please don't flush your fish, it's not good for the environment ❤

Without a photo not sure on the diagnosis - had a couple of bettas myself and currently have a poorly one with me - they are not a very hardy fish if you buy them from the LFS anymore after all the breeding that has gone on to make them beautiful their health is not the best. Make sure the tank is pristine and keep your betta comfortable as possible. If you do get a betta again I saw someone said you should buy directly from a breeder so would definitely recommend that.
Not sure quite how unwell your betta is so definitely a judgement call on the euthanasia - i saw a thread on here recommending that you mix clove oil with water and slowly dose the tank if it is getting to that stage -but as I fortunately haven’t had to do this myself definitely run that by some other members if you do opt for that to ensure it is the right advice.
Not sure what other members would recommend but if you think there is a chance for recovery perhaps an all in 1 medication like Esha2000? Not 100% sure myself as haven’t much experience treating sick fish with what you have described but there are lots of experienced people on here who can offer advice so just see what they say you did the right thing asking the question 😊🐠

Not sure quite how unwell your betta is so definitely a judgement call on the euthanasia - i saw a thread on here recommending that you mix clove oil with water and slowly dose the tank if it is getting to that stage
As awful as it sounds I think the most humane way is a sharp knife and removing the head. Not pleasant for us but surely has to be better to get it done with quickly then slowly suffocating or freezing them which is the other popular method.

@NewFrogger Sorry about your fish. There are unfortunately a lot of different things it could be and even with photos it can sometimes be difficult to say exactly what the issue is.

Most problems will come about from poor water quality so double check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (should be zero, zero and less than 20PPM, ideally less).

As already mentioned unfortunately Betta's can be quite fragile so even with no noticeable issues with water quality they are more likely to get ill. It could have been something as simple as catching itself on a rock which then got infected.

Bacterial infections are sadly incredibly hard to treat. You need to know exactly the type of bacteria that is the problem and then get the specific antibiotics. There are general treatments out there but they tend to not be overly effective (often doing nothing at all) and can also cause their own issues.

It may be possible that a vet could diagnose and prescribe the right antibiotics but honestly I don't think I have ever met a vet that had any clue about fish.

Last edited:
Clove oil does not "suffocate" the fish. I have used clove oil to SEDATE fish for minor surgical procedures AND to euthanize the fish. If the fish felt itself suffocating, same as humans.... they would always violently thrash about (such as when out of water). Clove oil usage is almost always a very calm process where the fish just falls asleep slowly.

That is 99% a bacterial infection. I recently had a male dwarf gourami with exactly the same symptoms. Unfortunately he did not pull through.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back