Betta Staying At The Surface?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Proud Pastry

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello :)
I bought a little female crown tail Betta fish. All she does is float at the surface of my aquarium, or rest on the bottom/plants/decor...
She's in a 5 gallon aquarium with 3 baby platys (they're not even an inch long yet) and 6 pygmy corys.
The tank is cycled and my other fish are perfectly healthy.
She'll swim around sometimes... but then go back to floating :( I also haven't seen her eat yet...
She doesn't have any visible problems or anything... will she be okay? :C

Thank you for reading!

She may just be getting used to the tank. My male love to rest on the leaves near the top do he can breathe and chill st the same time.

Will you be moving the platys soon? They will be too large and active for a 5 gallon tank.

@nikkifro8994: She could just be getting used to the tank... but it's been 3 days now :(
Yeah, they're just in there for now :) they're still pretty small haha, in fact they are a little smaller than my pygmy corys :p

@phoenixgsd: My water parameters are all normal :) I tested it earlier in the week, can't remember the numbers exactly .__. but I know they're all A-OK *thumbs up*

Test it again, water quality will rapidly deteriorate in a tank that small. Get the precise numbers as well, 'all normal' does not really give us much to go off.

@phoenixgsd: My water parameters are all normal
smile.png
I tested it earlier in the week, can't remember the numbers exactly .__. but I know they're all A-OK *thumbs up*

For reference: The numbers should be zero, except for nitrate which should be low ;).

Can you post a pic? what is the flow like in the tank? bettas are quite chilled out fish though females are more active, they are little piggies so surprised she hasn't started eating yet, what are you feeding her? they can be fussy if used to one type of food, try different types to see what she likes best or perhaps ask the shop what they were feeding her on.

She's most likely okay, shes just got to gey adjusted. Shes probably been eating when you werent looking. But also, a 5gl for that many fish is way to much. Your supposed to have a gallon per inch of fish. Mabye a bit bigger tank?..

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Your supposed to have a gallon per inch of fish.
So a 10 inch fish in a 10 gallon tank?

Sorry to say that formula is nonsense.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back