Betta pugnax

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

juliethegr8t

Addicted and in Therapy
Reaction score
:) So I have found a man who owns a store about an hour and a half away from me, and he has some fishies I may be interested in, though I'd like opinions.

First of all, he has betta pugnax for $10 each, and I've always been very interested in other species of bettas. :nod: These seem like some pretty neat ones too, they're a bit bigger and stockier than splendens, and are mouthbrooders. Here is a site with some good pics of them. Do y'all think that would be something to try? Anyone have experience?

Secondly, he has wild betta imbellis for $8. I have always wanted imbellis, and wild makes it even better since I know they're pure. Good deal? Should I go for that?

Finally, he has copper imbellis plakat hybrids for $6. Sounds intriquing, and could be pretty, but I think I'll have to see what those look like.

What do you all think I should get? I know it's personal opinion, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. He also said he'd give me a 30% discount for driving down there, so that helps. :thumbs: I would love to get some of each, but tank space is always limited, as is cash flow!!

Also had to note that he has wild licorice gouramis. *drool* If you don't know what those are, look them up cuz they rock. I'd love to have some but they're best in a species tank. :(

Edit: He also told me he has spike tailed paradise fish, and after a little research, my results turned up several sites that claimed they can live in small containers like bettas (as they are air breathers too), and tolerate wide ranges of temperatures. If this is true, I could keep one in a smaller sized filtered tank, right? I would love to have one because I think they're gorgeous, but I don't want it to die on me if I care for it incorrectly. Anyone tried them in an unheated tank? I realize it's probably not ideal, but I don't have any other place to put one.

them mouthbroodin things look cool id def get a pair of those... plakats are aggressive..... but they are pretty cool also... donno about imbellis but id def go for the mouthbrooders

The pugnax look very interesting! I have never heard of a mouth brooding betta...not even from you! :lol:

...and and and imbellis too? Sounds liks someone is on a huge hunt for more fish to me :p ....Although a 30% discount does sound pretty tempting after all.

Good luck deciding :) if not all of them :rolleyes:

The licorice gouramis look very interesting as well and very pretty :wub:

Chris :blink:

Go for both betta species. I'm so jealous. I want imbellis. Pure strains are hard to come by.

i just found a shop in vancouver that sells mouth brooding pugnax as well. the ones he has look kind of plain though, very whitish. i'm still on the lookout for imbellis, may have to order from thailand in the near future. ;)

Well if I had to choose I'd go with the Pugnax since they are mouthbrooders and I think it would be cool to breed them. Very different from breeding the Splendens. But at that price I'd try to find a way to get both, hehe.

Linda

Get them all!!!!!!! His prices seem extremely reasonable, stock up!! :D

hi,

for the imbellis you should ask where they come from. the usually imported fishs come from malaysia and are, well, in a really poor condition over here in europe... have a REALLY CLOSE look at them before you buy!

for the pugnax:
it is a interesting and relativ easy to keep species. but beware: keep them for themselfes, lots of plants, great food and, most important, a tank they can`t jump out! be sure, they`ll find EVERY hole, and you`ll definitely not beliefe how small those holes could be.
same for imbellis by the way :p

if you`de like to go for mouthbreeders, have a look at betta albimarginata and betta channoides, much smaller and much more interesting if we talk about colour :p (pictures to be found here]) :hyper:

Stop it Cocker!! You're making me want to expand into EVERYTHING! haha....I'd love to get a pair of either of those species your mentioned, they are beutiful! Cool coloring and finnage!

Linda

:*) so sorry :*)

but - if you`re looking around, just look at betta coccina, rutilans and brownorum :rolleyes:

if you`re finished breeding all of them, i`ll start show you some more :hyper:

p.s.: make sure you calculate one large tank for each species, and one for each fries, of course :hyper:

ha, i have one more for you!

100 points for the one, who tells me which species this is...

DietmarSplendens.jpg

cocker said:
ha, i have one more for you!

100 points for the one, who tells me which species this is...

DietmarSplendens.jpg
It's a wild betta splendens. Imbellis has green/blue bars on its gills, splendens has red.

Most reactions

Back