Betta In Community Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CoryLover95

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,
I currently have a 37-gallon community aquarium and a 2.5 gallon betta aquarium.  I'd really like to give my betta more space, but am not sure that it can do well with the other fish in  my tank.  This female betta would be in an aquarium with:
4x Platy
4x Long Fin Red Minor Tetra
11x Neon Tetra
4x Cory catfish
Would that work?  Thanks for your advice!
-CL95

Since your betta is a female and therefor more than likely shorter finned, I would say that she would be ok in the setup.  Watch for aggression between her and the others especially the platys and tetras.  Female bettas can be as aggressive or more than a male so being careful is better than ending up with some of your fish dead or injured.  Other than that, females tend to do better in community tanks because they are not as "territorial" as male bettas which lets them not have to "defend" a whole space.  I say go for it with care and be ready to move her back to the 2.5 if problems show up.

OK, thank you.  I was actually thinking of giving the 2.5 gallon to my sister if I decided to put the betta in the main tank because she wants to get a betta.  That way she's have a cycled filter & a tank all ready.  But I don't want to end up in a situation where I can't take an aggressive fish from the tank, so I'll wait a few weeks before I dispose of the tank.

Alright I did it.  
yes.gif
 .  Still waiting to see how it turns out...the 2.5 is still available in case it doesn't work.

Most reactions

trending

Back