Betta Fry Pic...

JobySp

Go Tuck Yourself In.
Reaction score
post-22-1076055767.jpg

how are your fry doing jobysp.? we just started our 2 day olds on vinegar eels, they started chewing down right away. in the past we have used liquid fry food as well, if you can't find live culture in your neck of the woods. gonna have to start up the baby brine shrimp farms again soon too. ;)

Hi
They are doing great... All free swimming now and is very cute to watch. Haven't managed to count how many have survived this far yet..

The problem now is that the tank is filthy and don't know how to go about cleaning it without removing some of the fry

Any ideas?

Glad to hear that they are doing so well.

Good Luck :)

To clean out the tank, try making your own siphoning tube by getting some small tubing. Airline will do the job too, but it's VERY slow, hehe...but it is safer than something bigger, you can slowly move it around the bottom sucking up the yuk and if you see some fry approaching it, then put your finger over the other end to stop the suction until you get to a clear area again. A friend of mine who breeds Bettas made his own siphoning tube by getting some firm tubing a bit wider than airline tubing (the firm tubing makes it easier to vacuum then the airline tubing), and attached it to airline tubing with silicone. He says it works wonderful, I'll be making something like that soon.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

Linda

Cheers for that - will give it a try.

The problem is that there are so many of the little things hanging around the bottom where the dirt is...

shrks1fan said:
To clean out the tank, try making your own siphoning tube by getting some small tubing. Airline will do the job too, but it's VERY slow, hehe...but it is safer than something bigger, you can slowly move it around the bottom sucking up the yuk and if you see some fry approaching it, then put your finger over the other end to stop the suction until you get to a clear area again. A friend of mine who breeds Bettas made his own siphoning tube by getting some firm tubing a bit wider than airline tubing (the firm tubing makes it easier to vacuum then the airline tubing), and attached it to airline tubing with silicone. He says it works wonderful, I'll be making something like that soon.

Let us know what you do and how it works.

Linda
yes, we use that method as well (tubing). it works very well. when you suck out the crud, make sure it goes into a clear glass or something so that you can watch for any fry that get sucked in. a turkey baster works pretty well too. ;)

I believe you have to keep the tank warm near the surface - hence covering the top...

If I clean the tank - it would lose that heat - is this OK?

you have to uncover it sometimes like when you feed them so i wouldn't worry too much, it doesn't take long for the humidity to re-humidify.

Just used a turkey baster
Although not 100% clean - it will suffice - got rid of most of the rubbish that had settled on the surface...

Only scooped up 10 fry whilst I was diong it :)

The Turkey baster is another great idea, I actually thought of that after I posted and left the computer, I have one I use in my 2.25 betta tanks to take out any gunk I may see on the gravel. Also a good idea mentioned a couple posts up about dispensing the water into a glass to check to be sure no babies got sucked up. I'll have to remember that when I have my first babies. (I'll be attempting my first spawn once I get my 10 gallon spawn tank cycled. Water, filter etc going in tomorrow to start a fishless cycle)

Linda

Most reactions

Back