Betta Fish Sick?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

maxthefish

Reaction score
Hi! I have had my betta fish Max for over a year now. He's always been a happy fish. However, about two weeks ago I noticed he was sitting at the bottom of the tank without a lot of movement. He was also gasping. I removed him from the tank and then did a water change, cleaning the tank with warm water as well. When he was placed back in the tank, the gasping had stopped and he acted fine. Now, he's been doing so again! He sits on the bottom without hardly any movement. He can swim fine, he doesn't have any strange patches or discoloration, and he is not bloated. His fins are a bit more "shredded" looking than normal, but he's had fin rot before and it doesn't seem to be fin rot to me. The one thing he does do in addition to sitting at the bottom is erratic swim patterns every once in a while. He will be sitting, and then suddenly rapidly shoot around the tank. He will bang into the rocks and the sides of the tank. To try and explain how fast and erratic the behavior is, when he runs into the sides or the pebbles at the bottom, it is audible, and it sometimes startles me when I'm in the room and hear it when I'm not looking at the tank. He's never done this before, and it isn't extremely often... but still concerning to me. He does still eat and shows interest in food, but not so much in me anymore. When I went over to the tank before, he would react and swim around. He doesn't do that as much anymore. The only thing that has changed with him is that I moved his tank across the room and away from the window, but I don't think this would have much of an effect? Thanks for any advice!

P.S. I don't have a water testing kit at the moment... any thoughts on a good relatively inexpensive kit? Also, is the free water test at PetSmart worth doing? thanks!

An update:
I did purchase a water testing kit, and it tested all parameters except ammonia. All levels are 0, or low enough to not pose a danger. However, he still sits at the bottom of the tank with his mouth opening and closing. He's still eating. Could this just be old age? I don't see how it could be ammonia when I just changed the water completely. Thank you

Most reactions

Back