Betta fish and their labyrinth organ!

Do you think Stress Coat/Melafix can be damaging?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

charlotte1211

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I wanted to jump on here as I have been seeing people in a Facebook group I'm apart of that API Stress Coat and Melafix is bad for Bettas. Personally I have never used either of these things within my betta tanks; However I have always thought that API Stress Coat would have been fine to use?

I have also been reading that using Melafix can have the same effects on Gourami's. I just thought this would be an interesting subject to bring up to see what others think.

The betta group is correct. The Stress Coat contains aloe vera, and there is evidence now that this over time does seriously harm fish. There are safe water conditioners without unnecessary "extras" like this. Ironically, API's Tap Water Conditioner is about the best there is.

As for Melafix, I would never use this or the similar Primafix, there are too many experiences of these harming fish. I know some use them, but the risk is there.

We must always bear in mind the very unique relationship that fish have to their aquatic environment, in terms of how their physiology operates. Water continually enters the fish via osmosis through every cell, and substances in the water can usually pass through with it. These get in the bloodstream and internal organs, and worse can follow.

Most reactions

Back