Beta - Algea on tail & Discolouration

Corey Webster

Reaction score
Hi

I've had my new Beta since Wednesday in a 30 litre cycled Biorb.

The algae growth is rapid (thought recently cleaned), especially when subjected to light. It appears to have attached to the Betas tail which is now shrivelled. It looks depressed and a sad sight from what it was.

Seeing this today, I can see in hindsight that it was losing it's vibrancy daily. Having seen the zoomed in picture now too, I can see the head looks like it's discoloured too.

I lost a very small Raspbora yesterday and on inspection, half it's tail was missing. I'm not sure if this is related. (It could have been eaten by the Beta).

I'd appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 1 fish.JPG
    1 fish.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 239
  • tank.JPG
    tank.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
I've just tested the water and there's a significant problem.

I cycled the tank for 8 weeks (using fish food), witnessed the nitrite rise, fall, then nitrate rise then fall.

I sat for weeks at the following:

PH: 8.0
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I had these readings up until the 2nd July - Two days before introducing fish:

Copper Harlequin Raspbora (now dead).
Glowlight Danio (very agile currently).
Cory (looks fine, feeding on bottom)
Beta (seemingly diseased).

I took water samples every second day and cleaned algae, so there was some water loss from those samples and drenching my arm. Thus, by the time the fish were due to go into the tank, there was about 1/6th of water missing.

When the fish arrived in bags, I poured them into the tank along with a bit of water. In turn, this filled the water that was missing. I thought this would make no difference. Whether that is a factor or not, I do not know, or if it's mostly due to the presence of fish, but readings are now:

PH: 8.0
Amonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0.25
Nitrate: 5.0

I'd appreciate advice, as I appreciate this water is lethal and likely the problem.

What options do I have?

Last edited:
When you cycle with fish food you don't know how much nitrogen you added to the tank. so you may not have enough bacteria pressent to handle the waist from the fish you added.

The tank is now cycling again. The only thing you can do is to check you ammonia and nitrite levels once per day. If the readings are not zero . Do a 50%
5 water change. Continue to do the testing and water changes until you see no nitrite and no ammonia.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back