Best Way To Safely Reduce Tank Temperature?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jnms

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I used to have discus in my tank along with a few tank mates. Now I no longer have the discus, so the tank temperature probably doesn't need to be so high. This tank now has severum and an oscar in it.

What is the best way to safely reduce the tank temperature? Is a 2C drop across a 24 hour period suitable?

If your only going down a couple of degrees, then just set the heater to the lower setting and it will fall naturally, wont harm the fish at all. If you want to do it quicker, a water change will be fine too.

No real hurry for it, I will just let it drop naturally then.

2C over 24 hours is nothing. In their wild environment there will be greater fluctuations on a daily basis

I have forgot to plug the heater back in after doing a big water change. I fill the water with the same temp. But then the temp drops naturaly over night the temp dropped 7 degrees. . I wake up and my fish all look sad and pale. I just plug it in and it goes back to normal no problem. All my fish livedit was not good for them. Fish are not as sensitive as we make them out to be. Most are really tough.

The larger the Amount of water the longer it takes to change.

That#s nothing! I accidentally forgot to plug in the heater again after a water change in my fry tank and only realised TWO DAYS later when I noticed the tank glass was very cold. Turned heated on and let temp rise slowly. The tiny fry survived and were OK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back