Best Way To Remove Fry From Tank?

melknee

Reaction score
My JD's just had their second round of fry in 1 month! Last month they hatched a large amount of fry, probably around 150-200, but none of them survived. After about a week maybe a week and a half I noticed that the pair were breeding again and had begun to eat their babies. Prior to the regicide the mother would constantly hover over the little guys and when the father came close she would chase him away (she has always been the dominant and larger fish of the two). The only other fish in the tank was a pleco, and he never went near the protective mother.

This time around I feel obligated to remove the fry from the tank before they get eaten, however I have no idea how to do this. I read somwhere to use a turkey baster, which seems feasible because the mother does suck some of them up if they stray too far from the group, and then bring them back and spit them out once back with their siblings. But that seems very inefficient, do you think siphoning them would be too traumatic or dangerous? Or do you think I should just leave them in there and hope the mom and dad dont decide to ditch em and breed again? Chichlids are supposed to be good parents, at least thats what I've read. Do you think turning the temperature down would stop them from breeding again too early? When my old heater broke I noticed that they were both alot less agressive and didn't swim around as much. And if I do change the temperature will it harm the fry?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I use a turkey baster, far quicker than a shrimp net, which has been my other option. Syphoning is a little harsh for my liking.

Symphony them or remove the male from the tank so the female doesn't get stressed and eat the fry. I had the same problems with my jaguar cichlids .

So I did initially try to syphon them out. That was less than successful, and the mom just attacked me the whole time. So I moved on to the turkey baster method, and she still tried to attack me, so I then moved the mama to a holding tank. That was a mistake, immediately papa JD came over and started eating the babies, naturally I started to freak out. I managed to get him out of the tank as well, but by that time the normally large pack of fry had started to disperse about the tank due to the chaos. After that I spent probably 2+ hours turkey basting the babies out of the tank into a 5 gal fry tank. I probably got about 85% of them, maybe around 100-125, into the tank and they seem to be doing well. I set up the tank by siphoning water from the big tank so there wouldn't be any problem with water quality or shock, but man was that a pain. Clearly I should have taken the male out first and just coped with the female attacking the baster so the babies would have stayed in a large group. That way I dont think it would have taken me that long, but I really dont think there is any way to go about it that isn't a pain. If anyone has any other ideas Im open to them for the next time around! 

I have used a bottle trap in the past with great success and very little stress in a planted tank where I could not get to fry, easy to make yourself, once made just pop in some of the fry's favourite food and place in tank, and wait, fry can get in but cannot get out, adults wont get in, it may be worth a try, 
Here's a link on how to make one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVwX_kE6dCA

They had another round of babies this month, and this month I managed to get the little buggers while they were hatching and and still kind of attached to each other by the egg sacs. I got em all in like three turkey basters! took me only 5 minutes, although the mother was still attacking the baster and not very happy with me. So note to self watch carefully and get babies before they are fully hatched, otherwise your gonna be chasing em around for hours. Also among other news, I was cleaning the main tank and I found a 1 inch baby dempsey survivor from their first round of babies, he's so cool and quite large! Yay!

Most reactions

Back