Best Way To Plant Live Plants?

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
2,065
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Leeds, United Kingdom
As mentioned in another thread I'm planning on changing from gravel to sand tomorrow and at the same time replace all my plants as the current ones are starting to look abit tired to be honest.

The plants at the moment are only amazon swords and are about a year old.

Whats the best way to plant plants? I've always taking off the weight or wrap from the bottom then planted them, but I've read somewhere that every stem should be planted in its own place about 1" apart?

I dont currently have a co2 system but would like one in the future, I do have some seachem flourish liquid carbon but havent dosed it for about 3 months now.

Andy
 
well, i just have argos play sand, and an 18w T8 light in both tanks, plants in sig. All doing fine ATM. Oh well, i got some fertiliser tablets free from Plants Alive, they last aroung 6 months. Placed directly under each plant.

Just remove weights and foam, and plant directly in sand, like it were garden soil. :D
 
Hi,

the roots will probably be huge taking over most of the tank, when replanting, cut the roots back to 2" so it makes it easier to replant.
With stems plants, you can plant individually or in groups of 3. It just depends on the specie, for example ludwigia is fairly large so single stems are better, whereas hemianthus are small so groups are better.
between each group or stem, leave a gap of about 1-2cm. after a few trims, the plants will produce side shoots and bush out.

for info in trimming see here:
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...211715&st=0"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...211715&st=0[/URL]

remove any weights and foam otherwise the base will rot.

Thanks, Aaron

EDIT: it is easier if you have any tweesers, even if they are not "proper" aquascpaing tools.
 
Thanks for the replies, and thanks to aaron for replying, I know your one of the plant experts on here.

I've just bought argos play sand to use tomorrow for the switchover. My last lot of amazon swords, I just removed the weight and foam and planted straight into gravel like betta said but they only ever seem to last 6-12 months. I was wondering if that was because too many stems in the bunch (8-10) were all trying to get nutrients from the same spot and if they would do better planted individually or in smaller groups.

My tanks the rio 125 and I think the lighting is the T5's as I've only had it a year. How can I tell? On the 2 bulbs it says 500mm / 28W

Andy
 
Thanks for the replies, and thanks to aaron for replying, I know your one of the plant experts on here.

I've just bought argos play sand to use tomorrow for the switchover. My last lot of amazon swords, I just removed the weight and foam and planted straight into gravel like betta said but they only ever seem to last 6-12 months. I was wondering if that was because too many stems in the bunch (8-10) were all trying to get nutrients from the same spot and if they would do better planted individually or in smaller groups.

Possibly yes, Give it a go when you switch to sand :D

My tanks the rio 125 and I think the lighting is the T5's as I've only had it a year. How can I tell? On the 2 bulbs it says 500mm / 28W

T5's are thin tubes, but T8's are thick. Google T5's to see what they look like, most likely T5's though as you have 2 of them.
Andy
 
Thanks, they are defo T5's as they are thin, probably about 6-8mm in diameter.

I'm looking forward to switching it over, cant decide whether to have bogwood or driftwood though lol

Andy
 
it would more likley be blocking out the light to the lower parts of the plants rather than nutrient related, growing them for a period of 6months shows you can do it.

I had to thin my plants out once because they got too thick and the lower stems started to rot. This was after 6months... with slower growth it might not be as often, but eventually you will have to do it, unless you uproot, and trim, then replant the top half and throw the bottom as this will make the stem continue to grow upwards, rather than the bottom half which will produce 2 side shoots at the point it was cut.

This is how i started
31122008-1.jpg


then it grew into this, so i had to go back to step 1 again to thin and replant the lot



T5 - 5/8ths inch diameter
T8 - 1" diameter
 

Most reactions

Back
Top