Best Way To Euthanize A Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

-FighterFishh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One of my fish is pretty ill, and I don't think I'll be able to cure her. What would be a quick and painless way to euthanize her?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thank you!

Using a scalpel to sever the spine and then pith the brain is quickest and most humane way.

Let her watch the whole film of cloverfield.....that should do it..

If you can't face a bit of scalpel action - not sure I could do that either, bit squeamish - clove oil works too. Plenty of guides on how to use it effectively online.

Some people suggest freezing, personally I think this is needlessly drawn out. Clover oil to deeply sedate the fish until it stops breathing, THEN followed by a few hours in the freezer to make sure would be fine.

Using a scalpel to sever the spine and then pith the brain is quickest and most humane way.

Eep, a bit too screamish for that! Plus she's one of my favourite fish. Cutting her up doesn't seem very respectful. :(

If you can't face a bit of scalpel action - not sure I could do that either, bit squeamish - clove oil works too. Plenty of guides on how to use it effectively online.

Some people suggest freezing, personally I think this is needlessly drawn out. Clover oil to deeply sedate the fish until it stops breathing, THEN followed by a few hours in the freezer to make sure would be fine.

Sounds good. I'll see if I can find any clove oil. :sad:

I asked my mum and she said that we don't have any clove oil. She's also not sure where we could pick any up.
Does anyone know where I can buy it in the UK or online?

Easily available online, a Google shopping search brings up plenty.

Offline, try Boots and other chemists, health shops, places that sell essential oils etc. It's used for tooth ache mainly.

Easily available online, a Google shopping search brings up plenty.

Offline, try Boots and other chemists, health shops, places that sell essential oils etc. It's used for tooth ache mainly.

you can but clove oil at most chemist's :)

Thank you very much guys, I'll go out for some tomorrow. I've got her in a breeding trap so I'll put in some plants and stuff in there for her until then. She's so pretty, but luckily I have plenty of babies from her. :wub:

Is this a fighter? I lost my old red boy Pepper yesterday, had him years :(

Is this a fighter? I lost my old red boy Pepper yesterday, had him years :(

Thankfully, no! Chai and Shrimp are still doing really well.

So sorry to hear about Pepper :( Bettas can develop such lovely little characteristics, you must be really upset now he's gone :rip:

If you go with clover oil, the other option is hot water once sedated. It wont take as long, and under sedation it would be quick. I havent tried this but I thinking so.

Sorry to hear about your fighter, Soybean. I lost my CT Betta this early afternoon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back