Best Way To 'clean' A Canister Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

flix_cw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I try my best to give my eheim 2213 a clean out every 4-6 weeks or so, but often leave it longer because it seems like such a big job. There must be a more efficient way of doing it that i haven't clocked.

It essentially involves me hauling out the bucket, and removing each layer and cleaning it in a bowl of tank water. This seems straightforward but i never seem to have enough bowls. Since each bit of media can't be kept out of water for too long in case of colony death, and each bowl getting dirtier with each wash, it's like a constant juggling act.

Am i missing something?!

Ps. the whole task really isn't helped by the fact i find endless cherry shrimp amongst the media, so have to take an age catching them and putting them back in the tank - something for another topic maybe.

I would never ever clean every foam pad at once. Try doing a couple once a month and alternate which ones you do.

That said, I haven't opened my 2215 since I set it up! Might be due a quick swish.. maybe in the new year..

It is a bit of a chore, cleaning externals, there's no way of making it easy, I don't think. I only do mine once every couple of months; even on the oscar's tank.

I use two buckets. I get the external out and remove the trays, stacking them in reverse order in one of the buckets. I pour the water from the canister into the second bucket. Then each tray gets it's media tipped into the second bucket, swished around and replaced in the tray, which goes straight back in the canister, until they're all done. Then I syphon tank water into the canister to fill it up (makes it easier to restart it) and that's it, done.

Of course, I don't have cherry shrimp to remove at the same time; I'm not sure what to suggest for that; except maybe a piece of coarse sponge over your inlet to stop them getting in there in the first place?

It is a bit of a chore, cleaning externals, there's no way of making it easy, I don't think. I only do mine once every couple of months; even on the oscar's tank.

I use two buckets. I get the external out and remove the trays, stacking them in reverse order in one of the buckets. I pour the water from the canister into the second bucket. Then each tray gets it's media tipped into the second bucket, swished around and replaced in the tray, which goes straight back in the canister, until they're all done. Then I syphon tank water into the canister to fill it up (makes it easier to restart it) and that's it, done.

Of course, I don't have cherry shrimp to remove at the same time; I'm not sure what to suggest for that; except maybe a piece of coarse sponge over your inlet to stop them getting in there in the first place?
Annoyling my canister doesn't come in trays, that would really help! It's just one "bucket" as such, with ceramic noodles at the bottom, coarse sponge on that, ceramic balls on that, and then topped with filter wool. (here: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=eheim+2213&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=653&tbs=isz:m&tbm=isch&tbnid=I1g47c1dChzd9M:&imgrefurl=http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/eheim-2213-cannister-filter.html&docid=jSo0s3LZtvx8vM&imgurl=http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/h/eheim2213.jpg&w=521&h=775&ei=aYzsTsaPFISV8QP8i4X0CQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=471&vpy=192&dur=421&hovh=260&hovw=174&tx=96&ty=132&sig=114118910162939869326&page=1&tbnh=127&tbnw=85&start=0&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0)
This means to wash the noodles for example, i have to take EVERYTHING out anyway!

I've already got a fine mesh over the inlet, it's just the babies that slip through and then grow in the filter!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back