Best Sponge Filter for a 20 gallon long tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I would like your opinion on who makes the best sponge filter for a 20 gallon long tank that will be planted and may have sand. It will be a freshwater tank, not sure what types of fish yet but I tend to like smaller fish.

The hydro-sponges are definitely the premium pick, but as previously mentioned even the generic ones seem to be just as effective.

A sponge connected to an air pump is a sponge filter. Having said that, some do think this or that brand are better. The Hydro sponges are highly recommended, I have one as a "spare" should I need a QT (haven't yet) but I find these a bit cumbersome as they sit on the substrate. In my permanent tanks with sponges (10g, 20g, 29g, even 40g) I use the dual sponge filter that suction cups to the tank wall so you have more versatility. I used to use Elite but they seem to be out of manufacture now, but I found identical units on amazon. Photos of all these below.

Attachments

• elitedouble.jpg
    elitedouble.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 84
  • sponge filter.jpg
    sponge filter.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Hydro sponge filters.jpg
    Hydro sponge filters.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 54
I have two of the cheap (off Amazon) ones like @Byron's middle pic.

Not currently in use as filters but I have 2 sponges lying in the rear chamber of my flex and the other one is attached to the filter inlet in my community tank as a pre-filter, no airline attached because the filter pulls water through it.
When I set up an emergency new tank last year I put one of these into my my 20G with an air pump.

As I said it was an emergency setup, my loaches started trying to eat my glowlight tetras so I moved them in on the same day I bought the tank. It did the job just fine until the filter I ordered on-line arrived, and then stayed in the tank long enough for that one to cycle. It really was an instant cycle as I never saw ammonia - and loaches are particularly sensitive about water quality. I would just have left it if it wasn't for the fact that the loaches enjoy a fairly high flow.

Not that it will make a big difference as far as filters go but I may switch my 20 gallon with my 30 gallon turtle sunning tank. If it fits on the stand, more water for fish and maybe more sun for my turtles. I also found enough very fine 3 mm gravel to fill the tank up to 3 inches instead of sand. I really do have a lot of old aquarium stuff in my basement. ;) I also found another 5 gallon tank:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Check out the Aquarium Co-op in Washington state online. They have excellent sponge filters and several videos to view and see the different ways to augment your HOB filter, and save $ too.

Then there is the debate between using lower density reticulated sponge filter vs the higher density regular sponge filter.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back