Best sand for Julii Corydoras / shrimp question

Enter a sandman...

Pool filter sand is my go to, but not for Corydoras. In my world view, it isn't really sand, but gravel. It isn't fine enough.

I like using playsand in my Cory only tanks. It takes rinsing, and that's a pain. I haven't used quikrete. I don't think we get it on our side of the continent. I go with other playsands, and have a choice of pure white, buff or reddish sandy (not far from a lot of red sand beaches here).

I'm working my way through Ian Fuller's site, and he is astonishing. I thought he was great in past contacts and discussions, but the breadth of his experience with Corys is what this hobby can be at its best. This is a person to listen to.

Just an aside - it probably isn't julii. That's a rare fish fish we don't see often, and the hobby uses the Latin name like a common name. It isn't of great importance, but might be interesting.

Not everyone will agree, but Ian Fuller says no to pool filter sand because it is rough. I don't argue with wisdom. Also, the pool filter sand I believe is white, and that should never be put in an aquarium with fish.

I had a discussion with Quikrete a few years ago on their play sand. It is highly processed, the most processing of their sands, simply to ensure it is smooth and not rough. The individual I spoke with said they know that kids in a sand box may toss the sand into eyes, mouth, etc. It is safe for cories, whereas pfs is not.
I believe we've discussed this in another thread, but to reiterate, Quikrete PFS is neither rough nor white; it is smooth and beige/tan colored

it is smooth and tan colored, and all my julii cories are ok, and eating well, water clear and tests well, but at least part of those gills look pinkish, I rinsed and rinsed but the water still went somewhat cloudy when I put in the Play sand

it is smooth and tan colored, and all my julii cories are ok, and eating well, water clear and tests well, but at least part of those gills look pinkish, I rinsed and rinsed but the water still went somewhat cloudy when I put in the Play sand

Not a problem, it is just dirt. I never rinsed new play sand all that much. Sand and dirt are really appreciated by cories!

They hardly ever come out from under their cave. And they don't like me messing with their tank, I haven't managed to get a juvenile Albino BN in there yet, too small to net. but here are my corydroras. Sold as Julii cories. 3 videos on youtube.

One of my little cories has eroded whiskers I noticed, after I did about an 80% water change. I added some Fritz Zyme 7 bacteria and a pinch of salt, he's eating with the rest. Hope he does ok. Had to look my post up to see what went on at the beginning and what medicine I used, turned out to be pink blotches and Furanace, but they are not blotchy at all this time

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back