Best Power Filter?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Captain Retardo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm a bit stuck between getting either a Hagen Aquaclear filter, or a Marineland Emperor filter...I've heard good comments for both, what are your opinions on them?, what are the Advantages/Disadvantages? I would especially like to hear from people who have owned both types of filters.

i don't know about the aquaclear, but i'd get the marineland emperor, just because it has a bio-wheel.

uh oh, this topic seems to start heated debates about once a month here.

I personally only have experience with aquaclear and whisper filters, no bio wheels. I like the AQ ones because of the flexibility of media I can put in it. I also like that I can get a grossly oversized filter, and turn the dial down. It's "patented" system recirculates water through the filter instead of just choking the water supply to the impeler (which I imagine would stress out the motor)

sorry for making a topic that has a potential to get heated :blush:

But I am just debating with myself whether to get the "miraculous bio-wheel" (which i am skeptical about) or the room of the aquaclear. I would like to get a good filter for my 29 gallon, instead of the crappy default one, that came with the kit.

Why is a bio-wheel better than filter cartridges?
well, for one thing, the bacteria on a bio-wheel gets oxygen from the air instead of the water, so they don't compete with the fish for oxygen. the bio-wheel also provides a lot of surface area for the bacteria to colonize. and whereas you need to replace filter cartridges, you never need to replace the bio-wheel.

uh oh, this topic seems to start heated debates about once a month here.

I personally only have experience with aquaclear and whisper filters, no bio wheels. I like the AQ ones because of the flexibility of media I can put in it. I also like that I can get a grossly oversized filter, and turn the dial down. It's "patented" system recirculates water through the filter instead of just choking the water supply to the impeler (which I imagine would stress out the motor)

:stupid: I like the aquaclears also,less movig parts=less problems and they are cheap -saving $= :cool: .I had a biowheel and didnt care for it,wheels didnt always spin and I understand why the wheels are there but I dont really think they help.

All HOB filters I've ever had from Marineland were really noisey. I've had both the Emperor 400 and still have my AquaClear 110 (used to be 500). I like the aquaclear much better. It has more waterflow, makes less bubbles in the water, has much more water/filter media capacity, and is quieter, while still being a simpler design. As if that weren't enough, its even cheaper.

I do like the tried and proven method of "wet-dry" biological filtration that the biowheels provide.....but I would never trade that for all the benefits I just mentioned.

i would get an aquaclear. the biowheel doesnt really make the tank have more bacteria because a tank with a certain load can only support a certain amount of bacteria. the biowheel only makes the bacteria work more efficiently

I would go with the AC. They are the only hob I ran when I was running hob filters. An AC50 would work fine on a 29 gallon. They hold more media, and have greater media flexability. You can extend the intake on an AC50, and do a 50% water change without it stopping. I did that on all of mine, they're a strong filter that takes some serious abuse.

Thanks for all the help, I've chose AquaClear! I think I will go with the AquaClear 70 instead of the 50 (because I need some extra filtration)

And for the hopefully coming up 20 gallon, I'll go with the Aquaclear 50. :)

Nothing against the bio wheels, but I think you'll be happy with your choice. I have an AC110 on my 55 gallon, an AC70 on my 29, and an AC50 on my 20 gallon.

As that other guy said, perhaps the bio wheel allows for more bio filtration capacity - but it's not like you're going to be short on that with an AC50 or AC70 in a 29 gallon tank. The colony can only grow large enough to support the waste from your fish, no matter how much "room" they have to grow.

Most reactions

Back