Best Filter And Heater

it does not sit on top the tank, but rather hangs off of the back of the tank. usually there will be a space in the cover to allow for use of this type of filter.

IMG_2393.jpg

o right i see i now . hmm now its bout even for the aquaclear and fx5 ! i quite like the luk of the aquaclear.

but again, if you are in the UK, you may find it hard to get one. you could probably buy it on ebay, or somewhere else online, but they are not sold locally.
also, it will take 2 ac110s to do the job of the FX5 (but even buying 2 ac110's, you will spend less money)

oh, and pay no attention to the white PVC piping in the picture. thats not part of the original filter. i do custom plumbing on most all of my filters, and that was part of a p;umbing project i did for another forum.

ok well thanks for the help. i think ill have to do some more google searchs! but at least i only have to search 2 filters now!

make that 3. dont rule out eheim just yet. check out what they have that might fit your needs.

good luck

yh ok. probly be to expensive but i will look! thanks

The FX5 has as many known issues as the Tetratec's. One ;) There was a dodgy batch of FX5's with motor units dropping like flies due to impeller failures and electronics control failures. As Bitteraspects say's, just do a google search :shifty:

Now, I'm not narrow minded enough to think that the FX5 is rubbish due to a few hundred hits about one common problem specific to one batch of filters. Both the FX5 and the Tetratec are seemingly good filters for reliability. Check out the Tetratec issues in detail, you find that it is the EX700 ONLY in one batch ONLY 6 months ago thats has had issues with leaks. With the FX5, it was one batch, 12 months ago with motor unit issues. Now on one above members analysis, keeping comparisons fair and un-bias, both are cr@p filters due to this. If we come back to the real world, we realise, once all is said and done, both will be good, solid, reliable filters if you avoid the batches that were known to be dodgy, and that are still sat as stock in certain retailer's warehouses ;)

Now, you are down to four filters here, as the Aquaclears are not available in the UK (easily) and the Tetratec's aren't available in the US (easily). So, you have the Rena XP3 to look at, an Eheim 2080, a Fluval FX5, and in the UK, Tetratec EX1200's and in the US Aquaclear's.

Someone asked how heavily stocked my tank is, to see what load it is dealing with. It's stocked to 1.5" per gallon on that rule, but they are large messy fish getting 4 heavy feeds a day, so the load is equivalent to something more like 500-600 Neon Tetras on normal feeds :good:

All the best
Rabbut

I have had experience with both filters
Fluval 205 leaked, Tetratec EX1200 did not!
Thats why i prefer Tetratec and thats why i suggested tetratec over fluval
Im not ruling out other brands just not making assumptions as iv not dealt with them
Just my opinion
:good:

Mod edit: I have removed some of the more inflammatory posts. Hopefully I haven't hacked up the thread too much, but if you see some of your information that pertains to the question asked missing, I apologize.

To all posters, please refrain from posting or replying to personal attacks, in the future I ask that you hit the report button and a mod will take care of it. I would hate for anyone to lose posting privileges unnecessarily.

Lets stick to the subject or I will unfortunately be forced to close this topic. :good:

Most reactions

Back