Best digital heater and thermometer

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tyler777

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Cannot guys please guide me bout the best digital heater n best digital thermometer to buy for a 125 gallons tank ?

I cannot name a “best heater”, but I can recommend Fluval and Ehiem. I’ve used both, and they work well.
I think Fluval heats up faster, but my Ehiem was much cheaper.

Cannot guys please guide me bout the best digital heater n best digital thermometer to buy for a 125 gallons tank ?
I have had good luck with Ehiem. I haven't used more expensive brands. I have actually had decent luck with most modern heaters. Also, I would split the wattage you need and buy two heaters. In the event one does stick on, with any luck it will be incapable of boiling your fish nearly as fast, if it can at all. Also spreads the heat around the tank better. It will cost a little more money to buy two smaller ones, but worth it on a big tank IMO. If one fails, you still have one good heater that could last years longer so you could get the money back someday anyway.

I have had good luck with Ehiem. I haven't used more expensive brands. I have actually had decent luck with most modern heaters. Also, I would split the wattage you need and buy two heaters. In the event one does stick on, with any luck it will be incapable of boiling your fish nearly as fast, if it can at all. Also spreads the heat around the tank better. It will cost a little more money to buy two smaller ones, but worth it on a big tank IMO. If one fails, you still have one good heater that could last years longer so you could get the money back someday anyway.
Thank you brother

Do yourself a favor and get a heater controller. Your heater gets stuck on the controller will shut it off and you won't come home to fried fish. My rule of thumb is to replace heaters annually. Last couple years I haven't been following that because I'm literally in my tanks daily and I use heater controllers. I haven't let them go past 2 years of service life though. Just replaced all my heaters couple months ago.

I prefer the Fluval E-Series. I have never had a single issue with a single heater since I switched to them. Some people complain they don't heat well but it's because they don't follow instructions. These heaters need to be kept at a 45⁰ angle or even horizontal under direct water flow. They work great. I use 2 300w heaters in my 180g with zero issues. They also are lit. Green means your water is in your chosen range. Red means your water is hotter than it should be and blue is cooler. Kind of nice to just glance at the light and know you're OK because it's green. I've checked the temp on all my tanks with a certified temp probe and the heaters are all within half a degree.

If you choose to use a controller the brand of heater isn't as important imo because you are protected.

I wanted to second the use of a controller if you don't mind the expense. I have a Hydor inline heater which had a hard time maintaining a stable, precise temperature. Even tiny changes to the dial while trying to "tune" into the right temperature caused huge swings so I would constantly overshoot up or down by a lot (I also have an injury in my hand which makes adjusting the tiny dial very hard). I finally relented and got an Inkbird controller, and what a difference it makes! I wished I had done this sooner. Temperature is now rock solid, staying within 0.1 degrees C of the set target. I was even lucky enough to find it on sale for $25.

In terms of thermometers, I use a Taylor digital waterproof thermometer for cooking, which I mostly use to make sure incoming water temp is adequate during water changes... probably an overkill though :)

Most reactions

Back