FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi all,

OK, which is the best browser other than IE.

I have been using Firefox for sometime now and it has always been stable and I could do quite a lot with it, but since the recent update it has done nothing but run my CPU into 100% and then of course stalls the PC.  It has been driving me nuts, constantly needing to re-boot and thus not able to spend much time on the TFF or anywhere else of late.

I then switched to Chrome (this morning) and imported my bookmarks, but I keep getting all these darn ads flashing up!  I have gone to disable them, but it tells me it is struggling to contact all the companies for mass opt out!!!

I spend more time re-booting the PC and thus the memory.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1564, and am considering upgrading the memory, but this may not assist with the CPU usage?

Getting fed up with it all, please help...

BTW: I am fairly IT literate so no need to explain in too much depth, I will come back to you if I do not understand.

Thanks in advance.

I use Chrome with adblock (it's in the google store), no worries about adverts there.

I use IE for work because the systems are so picky/badly written.

Out of curiosity, have you run a spybot/malware checker?

I currently use Google Chrome at home, using adblock as above, but at Work I use IE8 (Because this will only work with some software) aswell as Chrome

I've got IE at work and Chrome/Firefox at home. I used to use Firefox all the time but switched to Chrome around 4 months ago. I find it much quicker and like having my shortcuts/history available no matter what device I'm using.

As long as you're happy with the thought of Google holding your details!

I am a huge Firefox fan. Imo it it the least invasive browser and has the most blockers for ads, trackers etc. of any of them.

However, your locking up may be due to too much cached web content. I suggest you try this for Firefox. Go to  Tools, Options and click the  Advanced Tab. Then click Network. The second box down is labelled "Cached Web Content". Click on the box to "Clear Now" This may very well help with your problems.

Good luck with it.

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful...

DrRob said:
I use Chrome with adblock (it's in the google store), no worries about adverts there.

I use IE for work because the systems are so picky/badly written.

Out of curiosity, have you run a spybot/malware checker?

I have Norton 30 installed and it does automatic scanning, but can force it to run.

TwoTankAmin said:
I am a huge Firefox fan. Imo it it the least invasive browser and has the most blockers for ads, trackers etc. of any of them.

However, your locking up may be due to too much cached web content. I suggest you try this for Firefox. Go to  Tools, Options and click the  Advanced Tab. Then click Network. The second box down is labelled "Cached Web Content". Click on the box to "Clear Now" This may very well help with your problems.

Good luck with it.

Yes, that is why I liked FF, but alas it has just become too much of a pain to use.

I will try what you have suggest though and see if it improves things.

At the moment I am on Crome and I must say it has been a lot faster, yet to test it to its limits though!

Chrome, aside from belonging to Google which is reason enough for me never to use it, is also more streamlined and less robust than browser than firefox, or it used to be.

I will never give up my FF. I don't have IE enabled on my Windows PC.

I am a nut about my pivacy and security. I am seriously considering moving to a linux operating system as my next move as apparently they are now superior or at least equal too windows or apples etc.

I should mention I do not do any mobile or wirelss computing things. So that influences me.

Thanks, yes what you state is one of my concerns, especially as I have recently imported all my bookmarks to Chrome!  TBH though it is so fast compared to FF.
Yet to do what you suggested earlier, once I have tried that I will update you.

Can you import your saved passwords from FF to Chrome?

Yes I believe so, do you want to know how, try Google or have you found it by now?

I have not, do not and will never allow any passwords to be saved on my computer. I do not allow cookies to remain beyond the session. I automatically have LSO supercookies deleted as well.

I run add blockers and tracking blockers. I know the tracking ones work as some sites wont let you see stuff when you block their trackers. Usually I go someplace else when that happens.

Neither Microsoft, Google nor Apple like me at all because they thrive on having as much data on users as they can beg, borrow or steal and I work as hard as I can to block that. Who knows how successful at it I am.  I do know Firefox has tools they claim do it, the big three do not.

If you want an idea of how many trackers some sites try to drop onto your equipment, try using Ghostery for Firefox. It shows them all and can block them.

Thanks for that TTA, I am in agreement with you that I do not allow any PW's to be saved on my PC.  I feel that should anyone gain access then there is a risk that they will then get all security info etc. and for me this is too risky.

I will Google some of what you have said as I do not fully understand it all at present, and get back to you if I have any questions, if I may...

Opera. By far. Most customizable - built in adblock (just right click and choose which ads to block) as well as a proper Adblock extension. Built in RSS feed view, torrent client and email client. Can completely change the appearance just by dragging around as is usually faster than anything else on the market. Plus they usually invented everything Firefox, Chrome and IE copy. 

I've contributed code to Firefox and it is really, really badly written. They have bugs in their layout engine that date back to 1998.

Chrome's pretty bloated as well behind the scenes, though the next release they've cut 4 million lines of code so that should make it more efficient, but I tend to find that Adblock is mysteriously ineffective on Chrome.

IE10 is starting to be my fallback browser (as opposed the the browser I'd never touch 5 years ago) as it has good rendering support, and is more efficient in its use of space.

Firefox has tools they claim do it, the big three do not.

Firefox is one of the big three, though it used to be one of the big two. It goes Chrome->IE->Fx->Opera->Safari in terms of marketshare. It's probably also worth mentioning that Google pays Mozilla over $300 MILLION a year to be the default search engine, and they take data from that obviously.

Thank you this is very useful info., I have not heard of Opera before but will be seriously considering it based on this recommendation.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back