Best Books to Learn about Bolivian Rams

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bub

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
First of all, I have no idea where I should put this thread, or if anyone here will have an answer for this question.

Anyway, I have certain fish that I would like to get to know much better than I do. I already know quite a bit about Bolivian rams, but I would be interested in any books that could shed even more light onto them for me. Preferably I would like the books to discuss their habitat and how they live in the wild. I'm positive there will be no books dedicated entirely to Bolivians, but if there is a book on dwarf cichlids that goes into nice detail on Bolivians then I would be very eager to get my hands on it.

Thank you.

Yes, there is an excellent book on neo-tropical dwarf cichlids, I have it and still refer to it for habitat data. Tetra published it, I've no idea if it is still in print. American Cichlids I: Dwarf Cichlids, A Handbook for their Identification, Care and Breeding. Authors are Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staeck. Tetra Press, 1994. The taxonomy data is in a few cases outdated--for example, the Bolivian Ram and its cousin the Common Blue Ram are classified in the genus Papiliochromis (P. altispinosa for the Bolivian) whereas today they are accepted in the genus Mikrogeophagus. But the habitat and breeding info is obviously still relevant.

You cold likely find data online, just be careful who authors it. Anyone can set themselves up as some sort of "authority" just by developing a web site.

Reactions: Bub
Yes, there is an excellent book on neo-tropical dwarf cichlids, I have it and still refer to it for habitat data. Tetra published it, I've no idea if it is still in print. American Cichlids I: Dwarf Cichlids, A Handbook for their Identification, Care and Breeding. Authors are Horst Linke and Dr. Wolfgang Staeck. Tetra Press, 1994. The taxonomy data is in a few cases outdated--for example, the Bolivian Ram and its cousin the Common Blue Ram are classified in the genus Papiliochromis (P. altispinosa for the Bolivian) whereas today they are accepted in the genus Mikrogeophagus. But the habitat and breeding info is obviously still relevant.

You cold likely find data online, just be careful who authors it. Anyone can set themselves up as some sort of "authority" just by developing a web site.
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I'm definitely going to try get my hands on it. Even if the info is available to me through the interent I would like a book about it all. Especially as I can learn about a number of other dwarf cichlids I don't know much about. I'm a book guy so I'm definitely eager to finally start getting books on a number of fish that I love. I may be back asking about other groups of fish at various points in the year if I can't find them myself. Thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back