Best Aquarium Heater?

jonnyf84

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 18, 2008
Messages
1,119
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Hi all, i've been having some troubles with my heaters (superfish combi-heaters), the built in temp gage says a certain temp but the actual temp often differs by up to 5C. What, in your opinion is the most reliable heater.

I will start by saying that I am very much looking forward to the release of the new Fluval M Series. Discreet, slim and apparently reliable and with a mirrored surface can blend into any back and foreground - sounds good to me :good:

Any opinions are much appreciated.
 
I like the look of the Newatt heater and the Rena smart heater. I have broken a couple of the normal glass heaters and these two are made of stronger stuff. They are black so should be less obvious in a tank.
 
what do you guys think of the fluval tronic heaters?
 
I use an aqua one stainless steel heater. The temp control is outside the tank in my cabinet (much easier to change temp) and best of all the heater wont shatter if you leave if out of the water.
 
I use an aqua one stainless steel heater. The temp control is outside the tank in my cabinet (much easier to change temp) and best of all the heater wont shatter if you leave if out of the water.

mmm the aqua one and rena look good, 50W should be fine for a 30 litre aye?
 
I use a Visi-therm stealth. Temperature is rock solid and the black plastic blends right into my black background.
 
I use an aqua one stainless steel heater. The temp control is outside the tank in my cabinet (much easier to change temp) and best of all the heater wont shatter if you leave if out of the water.

mmm the aqua one and rena look good, 50W should be fine for a 30 litre aye?
Yep :good:.

The rena smart heaters are very good too, built solid. I dunno if I'd personally go for rena heater wise again though...I got the aqua one to replace a rena glass heater that kept the tank a good 5*C different to what I told it.
 
the built in temp gage says a certain temp but the actual temp often differs by up to 5C. What, in your opinion is the most reliable heater.

I thought this was normal for heaters. So long as you have a proper thermometer its not an issue is the way I've always looked at it.
 
The rena smart heaters are very good too, built solid. I dunno if I'd personally go for rena heater wise again though...I got the aqua one to replace a rena glass heater that kept the tank a good 5*C different to what I told it.

So the aqua one keeps the temp the same as it displays on its gage?
 
Yep, it's got a control dial that sits in my cabinet, tank always stays at what I've set it to.

I've only had the aqua one for 10 months though, I know of people who have had glass heaters for over 10 years with no problems, think they used visitherms. My 5 year old visitherm has water inside it, and is about 3*C off either way depending on it's mood :rolleyes: .


The main reasons I like my aqua one are just because I don't have to get wet and reach over the the beck of my tank to change the temperature, and it doesn't brake if I forget to turn it off during a water change.

I've shattered a few glass heaters in the past due to that reason :blush: .
 
Yep, it's got a control dial that sits in my cabinet, tank always stays at what I've set it to.

I've only had the aqua one for 10 months though, I know of people who have had glass heaters for over 10 years with no problems, think they used visitherms. My 5 year old visitherm has water inside it, and is about 3*C off either way depending on it's mood :rolleyes: .


The main reasons I like my aqua one are just because I don't have to get wet and reach over the the beck of my tank to change the temperature, and it doesn't brake if I forget to turn it off during a water change.

I've shattered a few glass heaters in the past due to that reason :blush: .

oooh i dont know now. i might go for the rena, it must be more expensive for a reason.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top