Best And Cheapish Rocks For Mbuna Setup?

sorry for not posting earlier, i have noticed that there are big pepples alongside a river up here, do you think they will be ok, or should i go for the safer option and more expensive, B&Q?
oh and nick sw, could you post a pic of your setup? to give me a good idea.

sorry for not posting earlier, i have noticed that there are big pepples alongside a river up here, do you think they will be ok, or should i go for the safer option and more expensive, B&Q?

Nicks is a lovely setup - if you do something similar or like it in my opinion you will not go far wrong...

Also i would just add that it's probably best if you don't take rocks from the river up near you as one of two things could happen.

1. Removal of the rock is illegal, and as you have told us that you are thinking about using these, you'll go to jail for sure as you can not claim it was a simple spur of the moment decision :lol: :lol:

2. The removal of the pebbles could cuase the river to be re-directed and the ensuing flood water could damage thousands of homes, including you own, therefore making the Welsh economy fail and that you would have to come back under English rule again :sad:

Neither option is a good one form where i'm looking so i suggest a trip to a B&Q or a local Garden Centre will be in order :D

Now that was funny Dru, how many bloddy rocks do you think he's going to 'lift? :lol:

I`m flattered someone thinks my setup is good as I don`t like it anymore ! I`m due for a re-scape.
Here it is anyway.

TankRe-Scape3.jpg

TankRe-Scape2.jpg

I`m flattered someone thinks my setup is good as I don`t like it anymore ! I`m due for a re-scape.
Here it is anyway.

TankRe-Scape3.jpg

TankRe-Scape2.jpg

Nick your tank is very good :D it's just a pity you are having a few issues with it. Let me know if there's anything you need interms of Q tank setup advice mate,

What rescape have you got in mind m8?

All the best,

Dru (Justin)

I love your tank nick. I know it's not supposed to be pc to put plants in but I think it adds colour and dimension to it. If it were mine I wouldn't change it, but it's a very good example of what can be done.

Hey Nick, I still think the rock work in your tank is some of the most aesthetically pleasing that I have seen to date. I love its simplicity, colour and texture. If you where going to change it the only thing that I would consider doing would be to increase the height of the rocks in the tank. Also how are the plants doing in the tank?

I also really like your choice of fish, so much so that this happened!!!!! :good:

DSCF3944.jpg

DSCF3964.jpg

DSCF3948.jpg

Cynotilapia Afra Cobue ? Great Choice Tanks if they are those , you definitely won`t be disapointed

Plants Progress -
The Aunbias are doing fine , just a bit of algae on the leaves they are growign but slowly.
The Vallis didn`t settle and was biten away by the Mbuna, not totally sure why it didn`t take to the conditions maybe I planted it wrong.

Not sure how the rocks are going to go just yet. Definitely changing them though.

They are indeed Cynotilapia Afra Cobue, I got them as an unexpected present so now my tank is a little overstocked so something is going to have to go. But that is for another discussion!!!

I've tried vallis before in another setup and it failed miserable. Like swords vallis need a good rooting substrate in order to grow. (this is difficult to achieve with african cichlids because of the constant digging) If you want to try them again you can plant them with rooting tabs around the bottoms of the plants.
You might have already tried this and if you have I'm all out of suggestions. Although I bought a plant recently that grows like the clappers and looks really well its called hygrophila guianensis and its worth a go if you are trying for a little bit of greenery.

Another mistake I made is that I left the lead collars on the plants to help anchor them, this I found out will eventually kill the plant. You live and learn!!!

Did you get around to lighting up the clearseal over the weekend?

They are indeed Cynotilapia Afra Cobue, I got them as an unexpected present so now my tank is a little overstocked so something is going to have to go. But that is for another discussion!!!

I've tried vallis before in another setup and it failed miserable. Like swords vallis need a good rooting substrate in order to grow. (this is difficult to achieve with african cichlids because of the constant digging) If you want to try them again you can plant them with rooting tabs around the bottoms of the plants.
You might have already tried this and if you have I'm all out of suggestions. Although I bought a plant recently that grows like the clappers and looks really well its called hygrophila guianensis and its worth a go if you are trying for a little bit of greenery.

Another mistake I made is that I left the lead collars on the plants to help anchor them, this I found out will eventually kill the plant. You live and learn!!!

Did you get around to lighting up the clearseal over the weekend?

Just a thought but couldn't one plant the vallis into it's own little container/pot then drop them in and cover round with stones. Fish wouldn't be able to uproot them then and for a bonus point you could move them around at will.

As far as the rocks are concerned, move em around. I think they look good as they are but I reeorg mine once amonth, to mix things up, clean under them, and to get a fresh look.

I think plants are great. I kill all live ones but I tend to keep quite a few fakes in my tanks.

As far as the rocks are concerned, move em around. I think they look good as they are but I reeorg mine once amonth, to mix things up, clean under them, and to get a fresh look.

I think plants are great. I kill all live ones but I tend to keep quite a few fakes in my tanks.

How nice to see you back :D

ok, i wont get them from the river, even if theres hundreds n thousands of the things lol.
the tank looks great nick, what plants do you have in there?, i can see some spiral vallis.

Most reactions

Back