Best 1st tropical tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Lee171181

Reaction score
Hi all,

fairly new to the hobby but just after some advice on the best tank to get. Size wise I am after around a 100-150l tank, with cabinet. Have been looking at the fluval Roma 125 or various Jewel/aqua one tanks, or the aquatropic 110 as recommended in Maidenhead aquatics. I don’t know much about the equipment that comes as standard with these tanks so was wondering if anyone had any advice as to the best one to get? Looking at 2nd hand and new options but don’t really want to spend loads on a tank and then have to spend more upgrading all the equipment etc.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Most the tanks youve mentioned will come with all the equipment you need really. Lights, heater and a internal filter.

Just comes down to design/colour you want. Ive had Roma and Jewel tanks and they are both really good makes.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Don't buy tanks with curved glass.

Get a plain old boring rectangular shaped tank.
Don't get a tank that is more than 2 foot high because the glass is quicker and they weigh more and cost more.
Look for a tank that is long and wide and about 18 inches high. (eg: 3 foot long x 18 inches wide x 18 inches high).

Secondhand tanks can be good or bad. Tanks that were built well and aren't too old can be an absolute bargain and have pretty much everything you need. If you want to look for a secondhand tank, check the silicon (glue that holds the glass together) for air bubbles, and white or cream silicon. This is bad silicon. You should touch the silicon and it should be firm but slightly squishy. If the silicon is hard and doesn't squish, it is dry and could be failing.

Some of the tanks you buy in a box contain below average filters, heaters and lights, and whilst they might be suitable for a basic set up, they don't always have reliable gear or they are hard to work on/ in.

To answer the original question, you're looking at good tanks there.
My only suggestion would be to get as big a tank as you can afford and find space for.
The reasoning behind this is that a larger tank gives you way more options and will be generally more robust in terms of managing water parameters and such like.
Another good reason is one of 'future proofing'. Assuming you get into the hobby, you will want another tank...and another...and another. However, with a large and generous tank, this point in the hobby will be further off than if you'd just got a small tank.
All that said, consider another small tank to put aside, with spare equipment, to serve as a quarantine or hospital tank, or for breeding purposes, etc..

I’m new to the hobby too, I’ve just bought a fluval shaker 168l from Maidenhead and it’s great. It comes with a great LED Bluetooth light and a 207 canister filter ( which cost about £200 alone). They do it on interest free credit too if that helps.

Don't buy tanks with curved glass.
Go on then...I'll bite...why not?
The curved glass makes it harder to work out the water volume and successfully treat the fish and or use the correct dose of water conditioner.

Curved glass is more likely to crack compared to flat glass, and can't be repaired or replaced. Having said that, curved glass on tanks should not crack but I have seen a few that did. And nothing funny was going on before it happened. The front curved glass just split from top to bottom and made a mess.

Curved glass makes it harder to photograph the fish for identifying the fish or diseases it might have.

Be careful when buying secondhand...not just on the condition of the glass, seals and equipment.

Ask the owner why they are selling it, especially if there are no other aquariums in the property that you can see.

Did their fish all die off or did they get flushed down the loo cos the owner got bored?

Ask why they are selling it so cheaply.

If they died off, and regardless of what killed them, I would walk away. The last thing you want or need when starting out in fishkeeping is to inherit someone else's disease/illness issues.

If you buy the new all inclusive kits aquariums and everything will be under warranty, plug in and play

Buying that bargain secondhand aquarium and all the equipment that went with it sounds great but you don't know what else is coming too. It is vital that you sterilise every single inch of everything (I use Milton's sterilising fluid, normally used for baby's bottles etc). My own personal advice, if you buy the aquarium and kit, bin the kit and replace it and sterilise the aquarium inside and out.

Over cautious...absolutely

I would rather be over cautious than buy that bargain aquarium, scaping it, filling it and waking up to a host of dead and/or dying fish.

My aquariums are new off the shelf all included kits...and as rightfully been said, most only have the basic average kit....so the heater and filter that come in the kit gets stored in the cupboard as spares incase of failure, the lights stored elsewhere and I replace everything to my own requirements.

Hi,

I recently purchased a Rio 240 with cabinet - it is a lovely tank and for me a nice size. I removed the internal filter box and replaced with an external filter.

ATB

Most reactions

trending

Back