Beneficial bacteria

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dubby

His legend will never die
Reaction score
I was just wondering what conditions do the beneficial bacteria need to thrive. I thought & I thought (not easy :D ) and came up with a few ...........

- water circulation. how much?
- oxygen. how much?
- warmth?
- food. they presumably eat waste matter
- light?

There are probably several types of bacteria that participate in each stage of the 'cycle'. Are the conditions the same for all?

Any ideas?

There are, as you say, numerous types of beneficial bacteria, most are aerobic, (needing O2). They do not really need heat or light and yes, they "eat" the waster products from the water, you do not need to supply extra food.

As to how much O2, generally, the more the better, it is this principle that is behind trickle filters etc., (or the bio reactors you see at a sewage works), generally the amount of O2 disolved in the tank water is enough for the colonies in a canister filter to work, (I often have an additional unpowered canister in the return line from the canister filled with Siporax or similar).

There are a couple of anaerobic reactors you can get, (more likely build), that require an organic Carbon source. These convert nitrates to gaseous Nitrogen, but water changes/heavy planting are much easier to manage than these beasts.

Most reactions

Back