beginner question about a fishless tank

cutechic

Sol
Reaction score
I'd like to transfer the fish in my 4 gallon to my 10 gallon, and then leave the 4 gallon filled with water & have the filter running for about a month, until I can get new fish.

Do I need to add ammonia each day, or will the bacteria continue to live because the bacteria bed is still intact?

I think I read somewhere that I need to add ammonia because the source (i.e. the fish waste) will be removed. Thanks in advance :)

What kind of filter is on the 4g? Is it built into the unit?

If not, just move it to the 10g and do double filtration until you're ready to get more fish. That would help the transition considerably as well.

If it is a built-in unit, I'd add a small capful of ammonia every day or two to keep things going.

Its the filter that you need to keep cycling so just like modernhamlet stated you either move the filter to an occupied tank and then move it back when you want to add fish or keep adding a small amount of ammonia daily to the 4 gal with the filter running. Either way your tank will be ready for fish when you get them.

The 4 gallon has a UG filter, so I don't think I can just put the filter into the 10 gallon.

I was thinking I could maybe move the entire 4 gallon into the 10 gallon tank for a while, but I don't know if that would work. It would be much easier just to add a couple drops of ammonia each day to keep the bacteria alive.

I would just keep adding ammonia to the tank. It wont take much and you can probably do it every other day.

Or...... since you plan on keeping the little tank running, why not get say a platy or something to keep in it and keep the bacteria going?

I think I'll just add ammonia, since I want all my platies in the 10 gallon. Thanks for all the help!

Or...... since you plan on keeping the little tank running, why not get say a platy or something to keep in it and keep the bacteria going?

And this is the reason why tanks that have been cycled with one fish, doesn't really work.

When you keep 1 or 2 fishes in your tank, then there are only bacteria so much as those 1-2 fishes produce. If you keep 3-4, there are bacteria as much as those fishes produce etc. And now, if you have cycled your tank with one tiny fish and and you add 10 other fishes later, what do you think it will happen? First you get ammonia spike, if pH is over 7 and after that you get nitrite spike.

No, no... Cycling tank (or keeping it working) with fish/es is almost like doing same thing twice :huh: Except, fishes have to suffer harmful compounds...

Most reactions

Back