Beginner fish keeping help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Reaction score
So I have three angelfish and two Bristlenose Plecos in a 200L ( around 48 gallon) aquarium it is fairly new but I have noticed that two of the angelfish have started fighting the larger one is showing constant aggression to the smaller one also the water seems to be tinted brown and I have researched it but I am still unsure why and help would be appreciated

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-20_19-37-20.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-20_19-37-20.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 80
I "think" your water is turning brown because of the driftwood leaching out its natural tannins. That's a good thing. Over time it will be less pronounced. As for the angelfish behavior that's anybody's guess. But if I was to take a shot in the dark I would say it's fishy racism. They don't like that calico. Herd animals that they are, they sniff at the strange one among them.

So I have three angelfish and two Bristlenose Plecos in a 200L ( around 48 gallon) aquarium it is fairly new but I have noticed that two of the angelfish have started fighting the larger one is showing constant aggression to the smaller one also the water seems to be tinted brown and I have researched it but I am still unsure why and help would be appreciated

Welcome to TFF.

To the angelfish problem...you must remove the fish being picked on now before it gets worse. The bullying by the (obviously) dominant angelfish is normal and it will not end well for the other one or even two.

Angelfish are a shoaling species, and must be in a group of no fewer than five. The only exception is a bonded pair. Two, three or four is going to end badly, although sometimes two can work if they are both female or a male/female pair that bond. In their habitat, the shoal sort out the hierarchy and any submissive fish can easily swim out of harm's way as needed. This is not an option in an aquarium unless it is huge. The dominant male will consider the space "his" and that is the end of it.

The picked-on fish needs to be removed as it will be further stressed, weakened, and then die. Depending upon the gender of the others, it may or may not work. It could end exactly the same, there is no way to know until the fish tell us.

I agree the tannin hue is not a problem, if that is what this is. Hard to tell such things from photos. But this is your least issue now so I'd leave it.

Last edited:
Just to be clear - when @Byron says it will not end well he means they will be killed. Before I knew this (probably before this forum existed) I had several attempts at keeping 2 or 3 angel fish. Every time I ended up with one survivor.

Welcome to our forums. Once you get your issue with the angelfish solved, you might consider entering our Fish of the Month contest. In mid December we will be running our Fish of the Month contest and will feature angelfish. Hope you will enter one of your angelfish in the contest.

Meanwhile, please vote in our Pet of the Month contest. The poll has been posted. We have 5 unique pets entered in this month's contest.

Enjoy our forums!

Thanks for all of your help to be clear the larger zebra angelfish is picking on the smaller zebra angelfish I will remove the angelfish and what should I do with it then because I have a 30L biorb aquarium with platies but it has no heater and it is far to small so I am confused

Thanks for all of your help to be clear the larger zebra angelfish is picking on the smaller zebra angelfish I will remove the angelfish and what should I do with it then because I have a 30L biorb aquarium with platies but it has no heater and it is far to small so I am confused

We cannot tell you what to do with any fish, that is your decision. The three angels should be separated or the weaker will be killed and then the other may as well, as I tried to explain previously. Will the store (or any store) take it, will someone else take it, ...

Oh and if you hate the tannins as much as I do, remove the driftwood, and boil in a big pot of water for 2-4 hours. Then keep soaking in water in your sink (hopefully you have a two sided sink) - until the water stays clear and then put it back in the aquarium. Without serious measure you'll be fighting brown water for months. Totally harmless but not very attractive. Can you pick up a 5 or better yet a 10 gallon aquarium set that comes with a filter and thermometer? You can ask the fist store that sold you the angels what the issue back and maybe they'll let you bring two back or you're going to need yet a 3rd aquarium. It's unfortunate they didn't tell you (or didn't know) but before you purchase any fish you're not familiar with do a lot of research and find out it's needs beforehand. That's just terrible. I'm so glad I didn't take the three angelfish my friend offered to me - but then, they had them all together for years without problems they were just tired of caring for the tank. So while many may have fighting some may not.

You could try a tank divider. That way you don't need to buy a new tank. I never used one but saw it in a pet store a few days ago. You can then separate the fish but keep them in the same tank. Try google and check it out.

Oh and if you hate the tannins as much as I do, remove the driftwood, and boil in a big pot of water for 2-4 hours. Then keep soaking in water in your sink (hopefully you have a two sided sink) - until the water stays clear and then put it back in the aquarium. Without serious measure you'll be fighting brown water for months. Totally harmless but not very attractive. Can you pick up a 5 or better yet a 10 gallon aquarium set that comes with a filter and thermometer? You can ask the fist store that sold you the angels what the issue back and maybe they'll let you bring two back or you're going to need yet a 3rd aquarium. It's unfortunate they didn't tell you (or didn't know) but before you purchase any fish you're not familiar with do a lot of research and find out it's needs beforehand. That's just terrible. I'm so glad I didn't take the three angelfish my friend offered to me - but then, they had them all together for years without problems they were just tired of caring for the tank. So while many may have fighting some may not.
Thanks for the help I will try to get another aquarium and get it cycled faster by using the filter spongy things from the tank I now own for the wood problem I don’t mind having brown water if it will go away in a few months time I’d rather not mess around with the water int he tank as I know certain fish can be quite sensitive to water parameters . Thanks for the help ☺️☺️

Would a 10 gallon be big enough for an angelfish because they can get quite large I have read they they need a 30 gallon but I would rather get a smaller one if I’m able to as I don’t have much space for a large aquarium but if I have to then I’m sure I could fit it in somewhere.

No, they need much bigger than 10 gallons. And the height of the tank is important as these are tall fish so a minimum water depth of 18 inches with more being better. The minimum tank size is more like 55 gallons, and that's the minimum not the ideal size.

No, they need much bigger than 10 gallons. And the height of the tank is important as these are tall fish so a minimum water depth of 18 inches with more being better. The minimum tank size is more like 55 gallons, and that's the minimum not the ideal size.
Ok thanks I shall try and regime then as I don’t have space for another large aquarium

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back