Beetle ID

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Absolutely right on. That's a Japanese Beetle. No ifs , ands or buts. Kill it.
As I said before in an earlier post I picked them off my grandma's roses when I was a kid. I was something like 5-6 years old or there about and grandma ruled the world as far as I was concerned. One time I actually got in a bit of trouble for picking the things off of grandma's roses. The problem was that grandma had a neighbor down the street that also did roses and they had a friendly competition going for the best roses. Weeellll, I thought that I'd help grandma out and took all the beetles I plucked from her roses and put them on the neighbor's roses. Happily it was only a little trouble as it is hard to really yell at a little kid when you are having a hard time not laughing. ;)

If these are indeed "Japanese beetles", with no natural (native) predators, then I agree
I know for a fact beyond all doubt. That is a Japanese Beetle. When I worked air cargo for UPS they trained us specifically on Japanese Beetle identification. Cargo jets were how they first got to the United States and UPS took the matter as a cover your butt precaution, hence training us in I.D. To avoid lawsuits.

If these are indeed "Japanese beetles", with no natural (native) predators, then I agree
Just like "Love Bugs" in Florida where the beasties were brought in to eat surface stuff in the waterways. Unfortunately no one actually researched and saw that there would be nothing to keep down the population as their acid content is so high no local birds will eat them. They have such an acid content that they will actually pit the finish on a car.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back