Be Careful What You Wish For

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Opcn

Big fish
Reaction score
So I sold a tank (5 gallon hex, thirty bucks at walmart) to a friend with a heater (twenty at lfs) and a good plant bulb (25 watt 6700k, ten bucks) for twenty dollars because hes a smart guy and I thought he would be a good addition to the hoby, the problem is that his girlfriend who is also a friend of minethinks that the tank can hold alot more than it can, and by that I mean 26 fish, the tank has been filled for about two and a half weeks, and a cycle aid was used, but they didn't really listen to me when I said that the tank can't hold that many fish, they started out with a cory, and then I checked it out a few days later and saw three white clouds and three neons, well they had schools of three (for those of you who don't know neons are mid level swimmers and white clouds are surface swimmers) but there are worse things to do. Anyways he told me that they wanted to go get more fish soon, and I told him to take things really slow get his tank established and maybe if he wanted to ad annything make i a snail and some shrimp (hes a bit of an overfeeder, but I'm sure we can clear that up) then he came to me to get an oppinion on his water, it was cloudy and kinda sharp, just like cycleing tank water always is, so I recomended a high volume water change, I also found out that before I had seen exactly half of his fish, and that he planned on adding to his two corries, six neons, and six white clouds, I told him that his tank was fuller than is recomended and that he should probably not add anything, but if he did want to make a change he should take in the two corries (because they like to be in schools of no fewer than three) and get some loaches, specifically khulie loaches, because loaches are the SE asian equivalent to corries and they have a smaller biomass, well today he comes back to me to borrow my buckets for another water change and suggests that I come lok at the new fish, today he got four large sunset platies, two good sized red platties, two dwarf cories, three cherry barbs, and, worst of all, one small clown loach, for those of you still on the antiquated inch per gallon rule hes rounding out about 6 and a fifth inches of fish per gallon, its a nightmare, I may have sold him on the idea of useing PVC or clear plastic pipes and bulkheads to connect three five gallon tanks in a row, but still it's not going to be pretty.

What did I do :sad: :sad:

Be caeful when you go trying to spread the love of fish keeping.

Oh geeze. I'm sorry. I understand about spreading the love of fish. I almost gave my dad tank once, but then decided against it when he started going on about how many fish he wanted. The offer was quickly withdrawn.

Hopefully he listens to you (and the girlfriend behaves as well) and they get this under control.

Shes listening to the guy at the fish shop instead of me unfortunately,Whenever I say that it won't work out well she says "I think it will be okay"

Oh geeze. I'm sorry. I understand about spreading the love of fish. I almost gave my dad tank once, but then decided against it when he started going on about how many fish he wanted. The offer was quickly withdrawn.

Hopefully he listens to you (and the girlfriend behaves as well) and they get this under control.
You're one of my favorite posters ^_^

opcn, that's unfortunate for everyone, especially the fish. I hope you guys can work it out without ruining your friendship. Maybe you can coax them in to a bigger tank, he's obviously getting in to the hobby (buying more fish etc). Maybe send him to TFF.

Yeah, I may have to have you delete this thread at some point in the future so that the girlfriend doesn't get mad at me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back