Bbs Nursery Need Help!

MermaidMel

Official Forum Weirdo Detective
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
3,972
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Guys my BBS have hatched and it says on the instructions for the hatchery to raise them to adults I need a specific gravity of 1.022 which is WHAT?! exactly?!

My BBS nursery is 1.7g tall hex, there is a separate hatcher inside where the airline is connected to. I wanted to get the babies into the main part of the tank and raise them to adult size and start the next hatch, which I use 1 of the 5 pieces of the rock salt provided, but I don't know what on earth a specific gravity is or how much rock salt I'd need for the main part of the tank.

Do you need a photo of the set up?
 
specific gravity is about the amout of salt in the water.

you'll need a hydrometer to measure s.g

i think 1.022 is full seawter?
 
bbs = baby brineshrimp???
specific gravity is the salt level in water. Sea water has a specific gravity of about 1.025 depending on where you live.
You can measure the salinity with a hydrometer available from any fish shop. The glass tube type are the cheapest but tend to snap. The plastic chamber ones cost a bit more but are tougher. Then top of the live is a refractometre that will set you back heaps. Buy one of the cheaper ones, its only for brineshrimp.

Use the hatcher outside the little hex tank and use an eyedropper or syringe to siphon the nauplii (baby shrimp) out of the hatcher. The nauplii like light so if you have the hatcher near a light they will gather near it making collecting them easier.

Don't bother feeding the nauplii for a couple of days because they will feed off their yolk sac for 2-4 days depending on temp.
 
To do that I would have to look through everything on the site, find the link and then post it here and I'm sure as heck not doing that. It would take forever. Nope I'll keep typing it out coz its quicker :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top