Basic Info

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

weejen

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hey guys just looking for some advice realy i realy wanna convert my tropical tank to marine. i have had my tank running bout 21 months now and as i origanly wanted a marine tank but decided to try tropical first to get my head around everything. now i feel that the time has come to try converting my tank now. i am realy wondering what equip i will need to buy and how to go about changing from tropical to marine. and help would be great. hoping to find out what i need so santa can help lol

Weejen-

Welcome to the salty side. I'm only just getting started myself, but there are lots and lots of resources here for you to read through that can provide you a lot of information. I would start with the journals and just start reading through there, looking for your tank size, fish/corals you want, etc.

xxBarneyxx posted a really good summary of things that you need to get started. It can be found in this thread:
http://www.fishforum...s-lots-of-help/

I can tell you that the first question is always, what size tank do you have and what type of equipment do you already have?

Yuma

my tank is 3.5 x 1 x 1.5, lxwxh, aproxx 150l. i have all tropical equipment filters heaters air pump.

Next important questions...

What kind of tank are you looking to do?
FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) or a Reef tank with corals or a more aggressive tank?

I've recently converted my 70 litre tropical tank to marine, my first venture into the saltwater side.

The only piece of equipment I've kept is the heater. Other than that, I've added some lights, a powerhead and a skimmer. Add to that some live rock and some aragonite or coral sand and you're pretty much good to go, at least until the upgrade bug bites!

You also need to think about how you're going to get the saltwater, either buying from LFS or making your own. I bought a RO unit and some salt to make my own water, saving on trips to ther LFS.

While the heater will likely be usable, you should make sure it is rated for saltwater or marine use. I actually had a heater that was freshwater only. I am glad I looked before it cause damage to my tank!

i would realy like to go with a reef tank. so what equip would i need for a reef tank? and what would i need to do first?

:hi: Wee

a 150 litre tank is nice to start with :good:

So lets get started?

You havent used any copper treatments in the tank have you?

live rock, the heart and lungs of a tank - approx 16/17 kilos
Aragonite sand - 22lb bag, dont get the 'live' stuff
2 x powerheads that give you at least x 20 flow an hour, many of us use Koralias
test kits - salifert, ammonia, nitRIte, NitRAte, phosphate, ph - to start with
phosphate remover - to use after cycle
Skimmer, lets us know how much you want to spend
RO water containers

what lights have you got, sorry if I missed that from earlier? How old are the tubes?

Seffie x

i am not aware of using copper in my tanks. my lighting is a hagen glo t5. with a 39w bulb. its the kind that fixes on to the top of my tank. thats all i know about lighting sorry lol

as with equipment i am hoping santa will help but i dont mind buying bits every now and then when i can afford till i have everything. so i can save up for stuff i need. i dont mind paying for quality

A good plan, most of us have to collect things over a period of time :good: whats first on your list?

Seffie x

i would realy like To add a sump. i have a 2 foot tank sitting spare. it wont fit in my cabnet tho.
P1000952.jpg

this is my tank
so what would you guys sugest i did first?

rehome your stock.
clean the tank out.
if you want a sump get the tank drilled
and go from there

yes my lfs drilled my tank for me i think it cost £5-£15 if not you can buy a drill bit to do it.

so how many holes would i need to drill and where and what for?
sorry for all the questions trying to get my head round all this

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back