Barneys 160l Planted Tank Using Ada Substrate/ferts - Journal

What size tank is it in US gallons?

Its about 42G (US)

I'm just about to go out and pick up my peppered Cory's so will post some pictures later :) Other then the plants getting really overgrown nothing much more has changed. I'm thinking about removing the stem plants on the left as they dont look very good. Might replace them with two amazon sword plants which should blent it in better with the rest of the tank.

Next weekend I plan to remove most of the floating plants and give everything a trim.

Some pictures from today :) The Cory's are a bit camera shy but will try and get some pictures later :)

226903541O142412604.jpg

tetra's shoaling. They dont do this often, only when I feed them or move something in the tank. Riccia is growing well and I should be able to trim it again soon and spread over the slate on the left.

226903626O016656252.jpg

Cory's hiding at the back of the tank behind a plant. Typically now I have put the camera away a few of them have decided to come out :)

226903630O591954987.jpg

Left side of the tank with the Tetra's

226903666O814879210.jpg

Cherry Shrimp. i have 12 of these guys in there but very rarely see more then 3 or 4 at a time.

226903552O469863322.jpg

Tank from the front.

Is ADA substrate like sand? Did you put any other substrate under it?

Is ADA substrate like sand? Did you put any other substrate under it?

The ADA aquasoil is like small "pebbles" of soil. If you squeeze it you can break it up into a powder. I used ADA power sand special under the soil which apprently adds extra nutrients.

Hi Barney, it looks very nice me old son, i like the feeling of depth through the middle behind the riccia, regards john.

Well I wasn't happy with the stem plants on the left so I got some new plants today and replanted that part. I also added some wod and while it doesnt really fit with the rest of the aquascape it is there for when I get a whiptail and for the shrimp.

New picture form the front:
227091876O336051519.jpg

One of the Cory's
227091865O573341194.jpg

Another two. There are six in total but they run whenever I get the camera out :)
227091908O263932659.jpg

Flame tetra (ignore the spots of dust algae on the glass. :) ).
227091913O467668590.jpg

Left side of the tank that was replanted.
227091956O003141903.jpg

I had some problems with my light unit. the starter unit for one pair went bang :( AE and Arcadia where great though and I have a new unit coming which should be here tomorrow. :)

I also bought the £35ish tool set from AE and it is great. makes it a lot easier to trim things up and move bits without having to stick my whole arm in :)

Couple of small updates for the week. 1st one is that a couple of my Silvertip tetra's are displaying spawning behaviour (think they are still too young to spawn properly but still good too see as it means they are happy).

Other thing is I found a hitch hiker in my tank! I think it is some kind of larve. I have taken him out so he doesnt get big enough to start eating my fish/shrimp but might set him up with a jar to see what it grows into.

228045673O720167978.jpg

Love your aquarium.Such fast plant growth!The slate covered with riccia will look great...Good luck!That larvae looks nasty :shout:

Couple of small updates for the week. 1st one is that a couple of my Silvertip tetra's are displaying spawning behaviour (think they are still too young to spawn properly but still good too see as it means they are happy).

Other thing is I found a hitch hiker in my tank! I think it is some kind of larve. I have taken him out so he doesnt get big enough to start eating my fish/shrimp but might set him up with a jar to see what it grows into.

228045673O720167978.jpg

Might be a dragonfly larva going by this image:

larvae-8868.jpg

Linked on the first paragraph of this website

Yeah that is the closest looking picture I have seen so far.

Took a few more pictures of the fish/shrimp:

This is Bob. Bob is one of the bigger Flame tetras and he has taken over the left hand side of the tank :) Anyone that swims into his little 8inch square territory soon gets chased off again :) (quite strange, as far as I can tell none of the other flame tetras have claimed their own space). i think he picked this spot as it is right under where I feed them :)

228188073O108223922.jpg

One of the Cory's. These guys blend in so well with the substrate that from a distance you can only see them if they move.
228187961O625359497.jpg

One of the Shrimp, these are starting to come out and about a lot more now and a couple of them are getting pretty big.
228188591O620847264.jpg

I really love your tank. This is what im aspiring to! What are the small grassy plants you have in the foreground?

Thanks I'm glad you like it but there really are much nicer tanks out there (I seem to be able to grow the plants but my aquascaping skills are pretty naff :) ). I've learnt a lot from this tank though and the next planted one I set up should look a lot nicer (though this is going to have to wait until after I set my marine tank up :) ).

The foreground plant on the left is Echinodurs Tennellus (Mini Amazon Sword) and the foreground planbt on the middle/Right is Elocharis Acicularis (Dwarf Hairgrass).

Quality tank there mate :) how do you find silver tip tetras? I have often looked at them but am told they can be nippy? Better in a large shoal I would imagine.

The larvae thing it probably a dragonfly or damselfly, you did the right thing removing it as it coudl start eating things!

Sam

Most reactions

Back