Bark Backdrop?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bobbydog

Reaction score
Ive been wondering what style of backdrop to make for my new set-up..im wanting it amazonian style for angels, tetras etc....ive seen the rocky,stone effects made with polystyrene which look really good.but i was wanting a more "woody" effect. I saw this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ1HmEa2F-8 and really liked it.unfortunately there are many questions but not many answers...is this a good way of making a backdrop?Is it practical?Where do i get the bark?what type of bark?Is there a better,simpler alternative to get the same effect?..etc...have a look at the vid and tell me what you think..thanks everyone

The general idea is good, but you want to use cork bark (which is aquarium safe and available from most pet stores, make sure it's untreated), aquarium silicone and peat instead of whatever it was that he used. Note that the peat will make the water go tanniny.

The general idea is good, but you want to use cork bark (which is aquarium safe and available from most pet stores, make sure it's untreated), aquarium silicone and peat instead of whatever it was that he used. Note that the peat will make the water go tanniny.
Hi..thanx for replying..just been looking at cork bark.seems like a better option...How long does it last?does it "break down"?

Hi..thanx for replying..just been looking at cork bark.seems like a better option...How long does it last?does it "break down"?

Just located this image of a resin background i like,but its wayyy too expensive...does it look possible to creat something like this with polystyrene?

Attachments

• Super_Realistic_3D_Aquarium_Background.jpg
    Super_Realistic_3D_Aquarium_Background.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 41
sorry..should have posted this in "Hardware & Do-It-Yourself" section

Whenever I have used cork in fish tanks, I have never had it deteriorate visibly. I don't know what the effect of keeping it under water would be though, it is a floating bark so does not sink by itself.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back