Bala's Not Feeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 balas and alot of giant danios. When i put the food in the bala's don't eat at all?? what should i do????????????

What size tank? How big are they? What else is in the tank? How long has the tank been set up? What are your water parameters?

I put 3 little baby balas in my 65 gallon and only 2 of them would ever eat. the 3rd looked fine but it would just totally ignore the food even though I made sure it could see it. Sometimes it would eat some then spit it right out.

It lasted about a month with no food at all then sadly one day I found it spinning around so it had to be euthensized :(

I have 3 bala sharks, 2 of them eat flakes but one doesn't want anything to do with them. I have to crush up shrimp pellets and feed him that (he's big enough now to eat whole ones) but even dropping stuff to the bottum will allow them to eat when you're not there. They are very finicky and are often scared by your presence. If you stand there watching they probably won't eat until they have become comfortable and that usually takes weeks if not months. My sharks will swim to the opposite side of the tank when i enter the room unless its breakfast time haha then they stay as close to me as possible just to make sure I don't forget them. so try dropping sinking shrimp pellets in or even algea flakes. Also flake foods that are veggy based are great for them. you can even try very small goldfish floating pellets, they like to attack stuff on the surface and make clicking noises.

What size tank? How big are they? What else is in the tank? How long has the tank been set up? What are your water parameters?
29 gallon,1's 2in,other's 3in,in the tank there's 2 silvertip sharks,1 pictus cats, 2 spotted rafeal catfish,5 giant danios,2 killfish, 2 balas, the tank has been set up for about 5 months, nitrate's 80, nitrite's 0, hardness's 250, buffering capacity 120, PH 7.6

That tank is definitely small for Bala's. I rescued three out of a 10 gallon to put in my 55 gallon and I am now starting to look for a new larger home for them. When I feed flakes they do not get excited and will let my discuss eat then they will slowly eat off the ground and leaves. If I put in some frozen blood worms they act like sharks and it is an all out feeding frenzy, but as others have said I have to walk away from the tank as they are very skittish. Great community tank mates though!

Most reactions

trending

Back