Bala Sharks Breeding Habbits?

scstone12

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 11, 2008
Messages
70
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kenmore
What are some behavior like symtoms of breeding of bala sharks. i have 3 of them in my 55 gallon tank, about 6 inches long each. One of them seems like hes/she is crazy horny and keeps like rubbing its back end with whatever one it can get with.. and than they swim into act like they are trying to get away from eachother but they don't. Whats going on ?
 
I'm not 100% on this... but I think I remember reading when I originally had my balas that breeding in captivity is almost unheard of... so if you get a breeding pair, that would be awesome :good:

Post some pics if you can
 
What are some behavior like symtoms of breeding of bala sharks. i have 3 of them in my 55 gallon tank, about 6 inches long each. One of them seems like hes/she is crazy horny and keeps like rubbing its back end with whatever one it can get with.. and than they swim into act like they are trying to get away from eachother but they don't. Whats going on ?

Sounds like normal playful Bala behaviour to me - my 4 often do this but have sadly never bred. (1M/3F)
 
Thats awesome. I thought they still knew little about the breeding behavior of the Bala, but that is some good scientific studying to figure out exactly what was triggering it. Apparently a high pressure front and high temp cause the bala to fall in love. Very cool

Ox :good:
 
Thats awesome. I thought they still knew little about the breeding behavior of the Bala, but that is some good scientific studying to figure out exactly what was triggering it. Apparently a high pressure front and high temp cause the bala to fall in love. Very cool

Ox :good:

No chance of a high pressure front or high temps in Manchester, UK so i guess my Bala's are doomed to celibacy! :lol:
 
That all makes pretty good sence, the part where stormy and flipper where wagging there bodys like chichlids is what im talking about. I have 1 bala that is bigger and bulkier than the rest, The other two are more skinny and smaller. mabye males and the 1 is a female? perhaps. Thats article sound slike what mine are doing, but my fish are only 5 inches long and the biggest one is prob 6 61/2/...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top