Bala Shark Not Eating

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dallionz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a bala shark that is still really young - probably about one and a half to two inches long. It won't eat the flakes when I feed the other fish. In fact, it will grab a piece and then spit it back out. I catch it constantly grazing along the bottom of the tank or along the plants and rocks. Is this normal for a bala? Should I be feeding it something else? Also, I had quite a few shrimp in the tank and now only two or three. Could the bala be eating them and thus not hungry for flakes?

Thanks in advance :)

its possible he may be eating the shrimp. Its also possible that he may be lonely. Bala's are schoaling fish and need at three in a tank.

However i feed mine:

Frozen brine shrimp
Frozen bloodworms
Frozen beefheart
Freeze-Dried Plankton
Algae wafers( for loaches and cories but they love em)
Spurlina Flakes
Brine shrimp flavored flake food
tubifex worms
Zuchini
Lettuce
and peas

Bala's usually aren't picky eaters and normally will eat anything they can put in their mouths.

Perhaps he is eating when you aren't watching.

Good Luck!

Exactly right balas are schoolers and need at least 3-4 to be happy. I have 4 that are now about 3 inches long or so. They also dont go up to the top for food much. They usually swim at the bottom or right above it. When I feed my fish, I sprinkle some on the top and then i put some in my hand where they are under water so if falls to the bottom where then they see it and eat it. Also he may be shy, most or some small balas are very timid fish.

Well said kgrehm.....however it should be noted that:
Also he may be shy, most or some small balas are very timid fish.

All Bala Sharks ...... even older ones are timid fish. Its very important that you make them feel comfortable and not do anything out of the ordinary to freak them out! Or else (and especially in small tanks) they will most definately end up hurting themselves.

Good Luck with your little one.

Most reactions

Back