Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

B190AC89-88BF-4A38-BAF7-768312CE8D55.jpeg

It appears as a cent on my phone lol. That's weird.

As to the tank.... I'd personally not take it down. It's the only tank built that I've ever been able to follow from beginning to end, and I think it's an amazing setup. But that's probably because rice paddies/ peat swamps are my favourite setups lol. If taking it down and setting up a hillstream tank is what would make you happy, then go for it. Anyways I want to thank you for creating this thread and sharing your journey with this tank, i really enjoyed it!

Tear down, fire up the 30.

You gave the RP your best shot, time to stop fighting a losing battle, and start something fresh & new that you'll enjoy

Just my two 💵 ... I mean, cents
It's funny, Slap, you were right about the trumpet snails. But they only gave me trouble after they died! Some critters know how to get revenge. :lol:

Sorry to read this Badger - I remember how excited you were when you started the project.

Sorry to read this Badger - I remember how excited you were when you started the project.
It's OK. I have had the tank going for two years and it's been great, other than my difficulties growing rice. Actually that's kind of fun too. Just trying to decide whether to start over on this idea, which I still really like, or start over on something new.

I've been giving this a lot of thought. I usually aim to get around four-five years from a setup before I tear it down, and it goes against my grain to take this one apart when it's only been going less than two years.

On the other hand, it sort of took itself apart. And I am feeling pretty energized at the idea of a hill stream semi-biotope...I think I might just go for it.

I've been giving this a lot of thought. I usually aim to get around four-five years from a setup before I tear it down, and it goes against my grain to take this one apart when it's only been going less than two years.

On the other hand, it sort of took itself apart. And I am feeling pretty energized at the idea of a hill stream semi-biotope...I think I might just go for it.
Hope you do go for the hillstream biotope. I am interested to see what you do with it.

As to the tank.... I'd personally not take it down. It's the only tank built that I've ever been able to follow from beginning to end, and I think it's an amazing setup. But that's probably because rice paddies/ peat swamps are my favourite setups lol. If taking it down and setting up a hillstream tank is what would make you happy, then go for it. Anyways I want to thank you for creating this thread and sharing your journey with this tank, i really enjoyed it!
Just realized I never responded to you, Betta. Thanks for the kind words. I've really enjoyed this too and I appreciate you coming along for the ride.

Well, folks, I have rehomed all but two fish and the bazillion assassin snails, and I hope to remedy that soon and get this tank torn down. It's been an excellent journey; I've learned a weird amount about Sumatran ecosystems, I got rice to actually grow in an aquarium (and even produce a few kernels of seed), and I've had great success with my first true Walstad tank, my first nano tank, AND my first sort-of-paludarium. All good things come to an end. This one came to an end a year or two sooner than I'd have liked, but no regrets and onward we go. Thanks to those of you that came along with me.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back