Badger's Sumatran Rice Paddy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What if I want snails?
Then we'll recalculate the plan. But assassin snails are pretty cool looking, and they eat algae when they can't murder other snails.

What's the water parameters? Are you using RODI water for the sparkling gourami?

Well if Matt has some qualms sending them out, my 120 has a sharable quantity I would be happy to send over to you, lol.
I don't use RO, but our water is extremely soft. I usually add a rooibos bag for some tannins.

What's the water parameters? Are you using RODI water for the sparkling gourami?

Well if Matt has some qualms sending them out, my 120 has a sharable quantity I would be happy to send over to you, lol.
...and yes, I might be in touch about some MTS! By the way, do you still have any of those rainbow fish? I remember a lot of them didn't make it, and those that did were in pretty rough shape. I am not good at sending fish.

...and yes, I might be in touch about some MTS! By the way, do you still have any of those rainbow fish? I remember a lot of them didn't make it, and those that did were in pretty rough shape. I am not good at sending fish.
No I wound up rehoming the rainbow as they were out competing the other fish to death.

I have 2-3 juvenile Betta hendra that are in blackwater RODI tank if you wanted for the tank. Parents were wild caught and bred almost immediately when I got them.

I use rooibos and I bought it in bulk (kios) if you need some. I also have tons of assassin snails. However, I do not ship live things from now until mid Jan. But, I can guarantee the the rooibos will be DOA.

I did the same with catappa leaves and alder cones. I use them and the rooibos in my Altum angel tank.

I am at a crossroads with this tank.

If I'm going to keep it going, it's going to require almost a complete restocking (see below) and a serious substrate cleaning which might not be successful (also see below). Do I basically reset this setup and start over, or do I take advantage of a very unfortunate situation to tear down the rice paddy and start something new?

Here's the situation. As you might have read on another thread, I've been gradually losing my blackwater fish in this tank for unknown reasons, to the point that it is almost completely depopulated. A recent test confirmed that the water in my tank had become very hard, probably as a result of many, many snail shells in the substrate (which in turn was a result of an extreme assassin snail massacre). Now that I know the cause, I feel very bad for all the fishies that have died. But it's too late to fix that now.

I'm going to rehome most of the remaining fish (I've decided the emerald eyes are too active for a tank this size, and the single remaining sparkling gourami can't coexist with the bettas I plan to add soon). That would leave three dwarf rasboras and a bunch of snails and amano shrimp.

So, to keep this setup going, I would have to rehome the gourami and emerald eyes, attempt to clean hundreds of tiny snail shells out of the substrate without killing the plants, then completely restock the tank. I love this setup; it's been a lot of fun and it would be worth the effort and expense to keep it going.

But as long as I'm starting over anyway, I might just tear down this tank, set my 30 gallon back up, and get going on this Yunnan hillstream biotope I've been dreaming about. Which to choose, which to choose?

Wow, so sorry about the issues in the tank. For some reason I haven't had any updates except for this one.

I think the 30 hillstream is a good change. As they say when one door closes...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back