Bad seam?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Michael Franks

Reaction score
I bought a 125 second hand. It has 1/2 inch thick glass. I ordered a top frame with 2 braces for it. I have resealed the inside. I just noticed how bad these seams look. Do I have anything to worry about? Will the top frame keep these seams from pulling apart?
20180923_185032.jpg
20180923_184953.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You have a good bead of silicon inside the glass and that will help. Cross members and support strips glued to the top of the tank will also help. The silicon between the glass is not white so that is a good sign, but it does have bubbles in and might be coming away from the glass (not a good sign).

If the tank was small (12-18 inches high), I would say you are fine. However, 1/2 inch (12mm) thick glass usually indicates a big tank that is over 2 feet high and there is a lot of water pressure there when full.

What are the actual tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

If you have good insurance you could risk it and it might be fine for years. But, I would be sleeping on edge waiting for the sound of running water.

The actual dimensions are 72x18x24. I just ordered a top frame and should get it tomorrow. The problem areas seem to only be located at the top few inches of the tank. The bottom looks perfect. I just don't want to dismantle the whole thing. I'd rather buy a new aquarium.

Most pressure is at the bottom part of the tank so if the funny silicon is at the top 6 inches of the tank, then cross members and support strips (at the top) will stop it going anywhere and you should be fine.

i think you are worrying way too much
Yep! I think you're right. We just moved into a new house and it would be a total nightmare if I ruined the downstairs part of my house with 125 gallons of water.

Most reactions

Back