Bad advice in the "Betta Care" thread...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
l because we are scared of them cause of the bad press they receive for looking scary?

Based on dog experience, and also seeing a staffy attack my spaniel without warning or provocation - we were only walking past the house on lead, the dog charged out of the house and immediately went for a kill bite, and held on. Took four people way too long to get it off of my dog. He did rip my dog's shoulder muscle into shreds, narrowly missing his throat. Another inch or two to the side, and he would have died.

When you've witnessed what the bull breeds can do, then yeah, that's scary. And while I don't agree with banning them, I don't see the pitbull lobby being honest and responsible either. Denying there is a problem at all, means no one is trying to fix it.
The dog aggression isn't bred in thru reputable breeders.
But there aren't reputable breeders. If people want a pitty, they get them from the shelters that are overflowing with pits and pit mixes, or they buy it from a dodgy guy on craigslist who bred his pet dog with his friends pit, for the sake of it, with no knowledge of lines, genetics, breeding to reduce aggression (dog or otherwise), etc. Or they're making their expensive "designer" pitbulls, bred for size, muscles, colour, given names like Hercules, and charging thousands for a pup.

Not reputable breeders. Reputable breeders would recognise the traits these dogs have, both good and bad, and be honest about the breed and that they're not for everyone or every situation. That they are a higher risk to other dogs, cats and people, and be actively working to fix the problems in the breed. I don't see anyone in the pro-pit campaign doing this.

Bully breeds are notoriously loyal, and because of that were traditionally used as a ‘nanny dog’
This is a dangerous lie, that has become a myth repeated again and again. It isn't true. There's nothing in the historical record to suggest that anyone called them, thought of them, or used them as "nanny dogs" to be with their kids.

When it was traced back, the first mention of this was in a newspaper article in the 1970s. Guess who said it? An American Pitbull breeder...

But it encourages people to leave their children alone with their pit, which is a bad idea with any dog, let alone a pitbull. So while I don't care if you're pro pit, you're perfectly entitled to defend a breed you love! But base it on reality/your own experiences, not just parroting phrases you've heard, without investigating the source and reality of the situation.

Based on dog experience, and also seeing a staffy attack my spaniel without warning or provocation - we were only walking past the house on lead, the dog charged out of the house and immediately went for a kill bite, and held on. Took four people way too long to get it off of my dog. He did rip my dog's shoulder muscle into shreds, narrowly missing his throat. Another inch or two to the side, and he would have died.

When you've witnessed what the bull breeds can do, then yeah, that's scary. And while I don't agree with banning them, I don't see the pitbull lobby being honest and responsible either. Denying there is a problem at all, means no one is trying to fix it.

But there aren't reputable breeders. If people want a pitty, they get them from the shelters that are overflowing with pits and pit mixes, or they buy it from a dodgy guy on craigslist who bred his pet dog with his friends pit, for the sake of it, with no knowledge of lines, genetics, breeding to reduce aggression (dog or otherwise), etc. Or they're making their expensive "designer" pitbulls, bred for size, muscles, colour, given names like Hercules, and charging thousands for a pup.

Not reputable breeders. Reputable breeders would recognise the traits these dogs have, both good and bad, and be honest about the breed and that they're not for everyone or every situation. That they are a higher risk to other dogs, cats and people, and be actively working to fix the problems in the breed. I don't see anyone in the pro-pit campaign doing this.

This is a dangerous lie, that has become a myth repeated again and again. It isn't true. There's nothing in the historical record to suggest that anyone called them, thought of them, or used them as "nanny dogs" to be with their kids.

When it was traced back, the first mention of this was in a newspaper article in the 1970s. Guess who said it? An American Pitbull breeder...

But it encourages people to leave their children alone with their pit, which is a bad idea with any dog, let alone a pitbull. So while I don't care if you're pro pit, you're perfectly entitled to defend a breed you love! But base it on reality/your own experiences, not just parroting phrases you've heard, without investigating the source and reality of the situation.
You are basing your opinion on fear. A bad reason

Bettas to pitbulls...

773DE299-594F-4500-A40A-19F583C5A66F.png

Also, since we all love uncle google….

A stafordshire is also NOT a pitbull
There is no such breed as pitbull. It is a classification when breeds are mixed together and staffordshire terrier is one that makes up a pit. Along with bull dogs, boxers, and other terriers. All of which are sometimes mis understood... I love all those breeds although I wouldnt want to own a bull dog just cause Ive never been into them lol

There is no such breed as pitbull. It is a classification when breeds are mixed together and staffordshire terrier is one that makes up a pit. Along with bull dogs, boxers, and other terriers. All of which are sometimes mis understood... I love all those breeds although I wouldnt want to own a bull dog just cause Ive never been into them lol
There is the American pit bull terrier, as well as the English bull terrier (long face one, think ‘Spuds Mckensie’)

Anyway, back to Betta’s…..what I think itiwhetu is trying to get across is we all say we do what’s best for the fish, try to emulate what they would do in the wild, therefore putting bettas together, with ample space, would replicate the conditions they face in the wild

There is the American pit bull terrier, as well as the English bull terrier (long face one, think ‘Spuds Mckensie’)
Those are full breds I think but in america if you say "pit-bull" it includes more than just an American Pit Bull Terrier

I live in maui, I see bully dogs on a daily basis. From staffy’s to blue and red nose, to frenchies. I’ll say the only dogs that have ever bit at me are chihuahua’s and a chow mix. The only dog that has ever bit my dog was an Akita/husky mix.

Again, as unfortunate as your situation was, you are treating your judgement of multiple breeds of dogs (albeit you’re lumping them into one ‘pit bull’ name) on one horrible encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back