Back to black

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wow, that frogbit really has long roots, nice healthy looking plant but looks like it is taking over your tank. I am trying hornwort as a floater. I have a large castle in the center of my tank so frogbit probably would not work out because of the long roots but I like the look and how it looks on the surface.

Ha - looks l ike I'm in danger of losing the lid off the tank :D
I used to trim the roots and thin them out weekly. Just leaving it for a while as the fish do like it. Its probably dark enough on the right now that even the cardinals can breed (if the corys didn't find the eggs first).
20191202_195649.jpg
Seen a couple of posts recently about low maintenance plants, it doesn't get much lower than this.

Suddenly the vals have sprung into life. When I changed the substrate I pruned the leaves and roots really heavily and its taken a while for them to recover. I am no longer retrieving them from the surface and I reckon in another week or two I will have to start thinning / trimming them. The lotus is still hanging in there. I have spotted the BN in there several evenings and its surviving his attention. Its not sending shoots up to the surface yet but I am seeing new leaves regularly.
20191206_183721.jpg

The sword hiding behind the dragon stone is not doing so well. It has some browning on the leaves with some turning almost transparent in the centre (suggestions welcome). Its not too little light because I have another two in the back right corner where it is almost pitch dark and they are doing really well.

And for everyone who laughs at my roots - decided to do a rare test before water change today and nitrates were 0. So was ammonia, nitrite, GH and KH, and as you can see this tank does is nowhere near lightly stocked.

If you really want the full picture pH = 6 ;)

I also transplanted two new shoots from the crypt in the nano to this tank to see if they do anything.

20191209_194216.jpg

Thanks to seeing your lotus plant Sean i purchased a couple for my tanks. The one in my 55 litre is still tiny but the one in my 220 as gone from blub to this in under a month.

Are there different varieties because yours is bright redish pink where mine are green and purpley red?

All change again. When I did the substrate I wanted 20kg but the usual supplier only had 10. So it was an inch thick and not really adequate for rooted plants. The crypts and hygrophilia I tried floated up into the frogbit root mass where they were never to be found again. I finally got around to ordering another 10kg and tipped some into the light side. I shoved the frogbit over to the right so its back to 50% of the surface, added a couple of substantial bunches of cryptocoryne wendtii and hygrophila costata. I also threw out most of the vals.

20191213_205137.jpg

The sorry looking amazon sword in front was retrieved from the root mass. If it doesn't recover its for the bin. There is also an anubias up there somewhere but that will survive indefinitely floating in the dark. I might see if its accessible when I do tonight's water change.

And yes - the right hand side really is that dark...

Wish I lived next door, I would be happy to take some of that off your hands for my empty 40 gallon "snail" tank.

Looking good Sean, new plants have made a big difference :good:

Really like the tall plants at the back by the vals. Are they hygrophila?

Most reactions

trending

Back