Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Back to black

Discussion in 'Freshwater Journals' started by seangee, Sep 19, 2019.

1. thuctoanvietnamese

thuctoanvietnamese New Member

The frogbit is so long !!

2. Russjw

Russjw Fish Crazy

This is @seangee way of helping global warming. We have our very own Amazon rainforest in the UK :rofl:

#47 Russjw, Dec 2, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. Retired Viking

Retired Viking Fish Fanatic

Wow, that frogbit really has long roots, nice healthy looking plant but looks like it is taking over your tank. I am trying hornwort as a floater. I have a large castle in the center of my tank so frogbit probably would not work out because of the long roots but I like the look and how it looks on the surface.

4. seangee

seangee Member

Ha - looks l ike I'm in danger of losing the lid off the tank :D
    I used to trim the roots and thin them out weekly. Just leaving it for a while as the fish do like it. Its probably dark enough on the right now that even the cardinals can breed (if the corys didn't find the eggs first).
    20191202_195649.jpg
    Seen a couple of posts recently about low maintenance plants, it doesn't get much lower than this.

• Like Like x 1
  5. seangee

seangee Member

Suddenly the vals have sprung into life. When I changed the substrate I pruned the leaves and roots really heavily and its taken a while for them to recover. I am no longer retrieving them from the surface and I reckon in another week or two I will have to start thinning / trimming them. The lotus is still hanging in there. I have spotted the BN in there several evenings and its surviving his attention. Its not sending shoots up to the surface yet but I am seeing new leaves regularly. 20191206_183721.jpg
    The sword hiding behind the dragon stone is not doing so well. It has some browning on the leaves with some turning almost transparent in the centre (suggestions welcome). Its not too little light because I have another two in the back right corner where it is almost pitch dark and they are doing really well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. seangee

seangee Member

And for everyone who laughs at my roots - decided to do a rare test before water change today and nitrates were 0. So was ammonia, nitrite, GH and KH, and as you can see this tank does is nowhere near lightly stocked.

If you really want the full picture pH = 6 ;)

I also transplanted two new shoots from the crypt in the nano to this tank to see if they do anything.

7. Russjw

Russjw Fish Crazy

20191209_194216.jpg
    Thanks to seeing your lotus plant Sean i purchased a couple for my tanks. The one in my 55 litre is still tiny but the one in my 220 as gone from blub to this in under a month.

Are there different varieties because yours is bright redish pink where mine are green and purpley red?

• Like Like x 1