Back stock or bad water?

I don't know about learned, but the other two are correct.
If the shop's in a certain notorious part of Aberdeen beginning with a "T". I'll say no more. lol

Is this a new tank that hasn't cycled yet? Even though guppies are classed as beginners fish, they are not as hardy as swords and platties. Have you measured ammonia and nitrite levels? Even a small amount of either of these in the water sometimes kills off the guppies without seeming to affect other tankmates.

Good of you to bring us back to the main thread gad. We tend to wander of course now and then :0
To answer your question, no the cycle hadn't completed and probably there was a boatload of unchecked bacteria in the water. This is slowly being eradicated with liquisil and malchite green. By the way, I bought a piece of malachite green rock from a gem shop. It was still in its uncut rough state. Bought the chunk(size of an adult fist) for a tenner. Do you think I could leave it in the tank as a display? It has lovely strata and jagged edges.

You're overloading your tank - every time you put new fish in large quantities in your uncycled tank - you will get ammonia and nitrite peaks. These will kill your fish and if not kill them, then stress them to such an extent that they will get diseases. Before you put any more fish in your tank, it must cycle. To keep the fish you have, do a lot of water changes at least every other day - remember to put in dechlorinator. This will prolong the cycle but at least keep your fish alive. To cycle a tank can take up to 6-8 weeks, keep checking the ammonia and nitrite levels and keep doing water changes. Until you have enough "good bacteria" to cope with what you already have in the tank - DON'T ADD ANY MORE FISH. Once the tank has cycled, then add new fish slowly, just remember that each time you add a fish, the "good bacteria" has to adjust to cope with the extra load. Good luck!!

With regard to your other question, malachite green - I really don't know if it will affect the water quality. It's something that you'll have to ask from someone that knows a lot more than me - but if it has a lot of jagged edges be careful that your fish don't cut themselves on it :/

malachite green to me is a medicen for your fish, but I've not come across it in this in a rock form. I'd sugget taking it out until someone with more knowlegde about it says otherwise.

Leaving it in could lead to overdosing your fish :what:

K. Malachite (green) is a gemstone as well as a medication.
Take it out now it has metals in it(copper etc) You could always seal it with a good aquarium safe varnish then put it back. (if it's polished it might be ok but uncut is not niceto the aquatic world. the pure stuff would cost you a lot more than a tenner anyhowbut still would contain metals)

O.K. gentlemen. I get the messege. The rock is a no no to the fish world. Oh poo it did look nice and pretty too. Sorry GL, did not glow. It didn't seem to be dissolving either, but I shall err on the side of caution and bow down to my elders!!! :laugh: :laugh:

it's the copper that gives the stone it's green colour. if it's rough/uncut the chances are it'll still have other minerals and metals in the surrounding rock. a cut and pollished stone should be ok but i ain't to sure

Dragon. If you have troubles in the future with live plants, it may be the copper coming back to haunt you. Copper has been discovered as one of the hardest elements to rid your tank of. Some reefers have been known to steer clear of tanks that were dosed with copper.

Dragon,
I noticed in an earlier post you mentioned your Ph was 7.9. Is this correct? If so that could be your problem.

That is a rather high Ph for guppies. Check with your LPS and ask them what their Ph is. If it is lower than yours (they may be altering their Ph to the level of the exporters water so they can lessen the acclimation time) this could be causing the guppies to have serious Ph shock.

This would cause gill burns and prevent the fish from being able to breath so to speak.

The advice about your tank not being fully cycled is also correct and a logical possibilty.

I would still ask the shop about their Ph though. Never hurts to cover all the bases.

HTH

Larry

Ciclidmaster, your comments re. Ph is noted. I never thought about Ph shock, because my other fishes that I purchased at the same Ifs and at the same time have not been affected. I do however take your point that the Ph may affect one type of fish more than other. I will investigate this. Thanks ;)

Most reactions

Back