Baby plecs!

Alyson Holmes

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just found at least 10 baby plecs in my tank about half inch long...had 2 in tank before hand but 1 was found dead on Saturday....anybody know why? Thank you

Hi there,

Just found at least 10 baby plecs in my tank about half inch long...had 2 in tank before hand but 1 was found dead on Saturday....anybody know why? Thank you
Hi and welcome to the forum :hi:

I am sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Unfortunately it could have been one of many things that could have killed the fish. It’s difficult to say without knowing the symptoms of the fish before death.

It could have been anything from genetical factors to disease. It may also have been that this fish was just unfortunately weaker than the rest. If you’re tank is cycled (ammonia and nitrites at 0) and a low nitrate level is evident I’d try not to worry to much.

Watch the other fish closely for the next few days and continue to keep pristine water conditions. Hopefully this should help prevent anymore fish losses.

Best of luck.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's worth a read.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

If a fish gets sick or dies, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes help dilute disease organisms and nutrients that might be causing the problem.

Post pictures of the sick/ dead fish.

Test the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Provide information about how long the tank and filter have been set up for, tank dimensions, tank inhabitants, etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back