Baby Platty

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iihay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We have just spotted what I assume is a baby platty in my tank. I have plenty of plants for it to hide but what do I need to do food wise and for it's protection?
It's about 3mm or so long at the moment and the tank has 4 platys, a betta, cronze cory, dwarf gourami and neons in it. The gourami is just plain evil, will any of these try and eat it?

Should it be seperated?

Cheers

Iain

p.s.

Guess this means that my thank conditions are quite good which is something I guess!

pretty much all of them will try and eat (apart from the coryies) it if they can catch it, its unusual to only have 1 fry so either more are hiding or already been eaten, i would seperate it either in another tank or fry net if you want to keep it.

pretty much all of them will try and eat (apart from the coryies) it if they can catch it, its unusual to only have 1 fry so either more are hiding or already been eaten, i would seperate it either in another tank or fry net if you want to keep it.

Have got a breeding tank thing for it and some fry food but I haven't seen it for a while. Might be tricky to find/catch, there are a lot of hiding places.I will add the fry food anyway in case it is around somewhere!

Iain

I thought that too Kewskills, until i watched one of my peppered corys hoover up one of my recent batch of molly fry. :huh:

I thought that too Kewskills, until i watched one of my peppered corys hoover up one of my recent batch of molly fry. :huh:

Haven't seen it yet! But there are a lot of plants.

Iain

Our Guppy had 18 but my gouramis and Angelfish managed to catch and eat 10
We moved the other 8 to a breeding tank and 5 survived they are doing well
Chances are if tthere is one then there are more and if they have plenty of places to hide they'll be ok

Haven't seen it yet! But there are a lot of plants.

Iain

i have 2 baby platys and there doing fine in my comunity tank with a dwarf gourami, 2 colombian tetras and the rest of the fish are small too.
ide say if you dont have a breading tank like me let nature take its course, i don't mean to be nasty to to the fry but the smart ones will hide and the silly ones will get eaten.

ps mine lasted 2 months in the comunity and neither of them died, their now at the age where they come out to say hello every once in a while.
hope it works out for you like it did for me
shang hi

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back