B&q Kilm Dried Sand

Anybody think its good for aquarium substrate?

All it says is that its kilm dried. It doesn't say anything about added substances.

What do you think?

its like it says on the tin! kiln dried sand. often called silver sand, it is very fine but also quite sharp. one of its main uses is to lock together the blocks used to pave your driveway. i, personally, am convinced its fine for the tank. however Argos play sand defiantly is safe, and cost about the same if not less.

You can get standard sand from B&Q too, I did.

Pauly.
when you say "standard sand", what do you mean, and what did you use it for, the tank? using anything , but play, silver or aquarium sand would be a great risk, i would have thought, as no other form of sand will be "inert" enough to be safe.

it should be fine, i would recommended boiling it before putting it in your tank though to be on the safe side.

i used beach sand for my fry tank and that works fine, i left it to soak in distiled water for 3 days and then boiled it up for about half an hour then left if in my tank with the filter going for about a week before i put any fry in, and i have had no problems with it and it has now been in the fry tank for almost a year.

it should be fine, i would recommended boiling it before putting it in your tank though to be on the safe side.

i used beach sand for my fry tank and that works fine, i left it to soak in distiled water for 3 days and then boiled it up for about half an hour then left if in my tank with the filter going for about a week before i put any fry in, and i have had no problems with it and it has now been in the fry tank for almost a year.

however it should not be nesseccery to boil either play or kiln dried sand. a good wash is quite sufficient.

Hi I used the sand you mention loads of times in my fish tanks its fine never had a problem with it. Like all sands make sure you rinse them loads in flowing water you will be amazed at the rubbish that comes out it before you put it in the tank.

Loader

I use argos sand with no problems what so ever...really cheap and you get loads for your money...

I just chucked some in a bucket and then kept the hose on it for about 10 minutes or so till the water ran clear and chucked it in the tank...simple! :good:

I also bought some proper aquatic sand and it is so expensive i went for argos sand instead! Just as good.

The holybush Garden centre in Cannock sells playsand for £1.99 a bag (about 20kg I think)

Probably not local to many people... how ever it might be worth looking in independant garden centre's before paying Argos / B&Q prices......

Most reactions

Back