B Acara Or G.t.?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dougie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,

can anyone out there please reassure me that Mr Dennis (pictured) is indeed a Blue Acara & not a Green Terror as my mate has been insisitng all afternoon! Sorry about pic quality, Mr Dennis appears to be a different colour in every pic I take. Oh I perhaps should add he's just short of 2" long, a new addition. I'd be a little upset if he turned out to be a Terror... hopefully I've uploaded them correctly. Cheers!

ba1.jpg
[/img]

same fish...

064.jpg
[/img]

i see i've not uploaded the pics properly.. I'll have another stab in a short while....

sorry to say but in my opinion its a gt i have owned both and my juvi gt looked exactly the same with the full yellow line on. the tail fin.

Hi Liam2368 & Fishprotector

I was told that the yellow on the caudial fin would be a band more than a thin stripe if it was a G.T. & that a thin yellow stripe on the tail of a B.A. is common. The guy I got him from was adamant it was an Acara. Are there other pointers that I have missed? He is a touch lighter than he appears in the pics...
He also chickens out when confronted by my keysholes, I'd have thought that even though he is a new addition & only small, if he was a terror, that he wouldn't stand for any of their nonsense? I've never had a GT before & their bad rep precedes them!

cheers

Hi Liam2368 & Fishprotector

I was told that the yellow on the caudial fin would be a band more than a thin stripe if it was a G.T. & that a thin yellow stripe on the tail of a B.A. is common. The guy I got him from was adamant it was an Acara. Are there other pointers that I have missed? He is a touch lighter than he appears in the pics...
He also chickens out when confronted by my keysholes, I'd have thought that even though he is a new addition & only small, if he was a terror, that he wouldn't stand for any of their nonsense? I've never had a GT before & their bad rep precedes them!

cheers
Acaras don't have the black spot on their side. They have a stripe. For me it's a terror. And as for him wimping out, it won't happen for long. When they get bigger they get balls of steel. It will soon be kicking butt if another cichlid gets out of line. My Texas was a little wimp too when it was an inch

Looks just like my green terror. My guy is a wimp too, even the severum and pleco will push him around. the lines he has in the pictures you uploaded correctly are stress bars, something is bugging him.

I'd say green terror too, female too if i was to guess the gender :lol:
Here's a picture of 1 of my females (little roughed up from breeding fight).

My 5-6inch male GT gets bullied by a 2-3inch kribensis, so they aint all so tough (i hope he stays a wimp though) :lol:
422013_372419322777937_100000296185181_1359289_1592302996_n.jpg

Thanks guys, looks like I've got a decision to make then, to keep or not to keep.... I don't mind a little domestic squabbling now and again, but I've heard GT's are just a nightmare. My Keyholes are great & I'm afraid they'll get bashed up too much?

Keep her, if she gets really aggressive then you can rehome her

I've only read like 3 posts on my days of the internet of green terror actually being terrors. But at the same time, I don't think they'd make good tank mates for keyhole cichlids, even if they're not as extremely aggressive as people seem to say, they're still very boisterous, and keyholes are kinda timid.

I'd honestly rehome it. What are the other fish i your tank, anyway? Thinking of keyholes I think of other tank mates being cories and smaller tetras, which would all end up food for a GT anyway.

I have a pair of Green Terrors and they are great fish actually. MInd you, my male hates me and makes frumpy faces at me, but they are neat to watch. If anything, get another tank second hand and get her a man!

And for reference, not the large black spot on the side of mine? This is my male GT. And as you can see, they color up beautifully as adults and are quite the stunners.
DSCN3943.jpg

I have a pair of Green Terrors and they are great fish actually. MInd you, my male hates me and makes frumpy faces at me, but they are neat to watch. If anything, get another tank second hand and get her a man!

And for reference, not the large black spot on the side of mine? This is my male GT. And as you can see, they color up beautifully as adults and are quite the stunners.
DSCN3943.jpg
I was told that green terrors can be sexed at a young age based on a black splotch below their eye about the size of their eye, does your female have one there? do you have a full picture of it as well?

not to hijack the thread :blink:

I've only read like 3 posts on my days of the internet of green terror actually being terrors. But at the same time, I don't think they'd make good tank mates for keyhole cichlids, even if they're not as extremely aggressive as people seem to say, they're still very boisterous, and keyholes are kinda timid.

I'd honestly rehome it. What are the other fish i your tank, anyway? Thinking of keyholes I think of other tank mates being cories and smaller tetras, which would all end up food for a GT anyway.

There's 2 Keyholes, 8 Cherry Barbs, and an Albino Bristlenose. I wanted a med sized centre piece fish the would be ok with the Keyholes & was told Blue Acara's have quite chilled temperaments, hence the purchase. I called the guy I got him from (although it seems "him" should be "her" so Proxo informs me!)today and he was adamant that it's a B.A.& that he hasn't had GT's "for a good while". He's invited me to pop down with the fish, or pics of the fish, tomorrow for a chat.
Not sure what to do as he/she is an attractive fish, but I couldn't let anything happen to my Keyholes.... uncertain & undecided....

What size is your tank? i've heard people get away with GTs and keyholes in the same tank, it's unlikely though.
It's going to be luck of the draw really, me personally would rehome the GT unless you planned on another tank in the future.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back