Axolotl.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Paradise3

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I just got one of these, albino, still young only about 3-4". Reared on live and frozen bloodworm. The reason i have one is because my mum saw me researching them! So today when she went shopping she decided to "surprise"(more like shock) me with it! She got it for £8 and it's in brilliant health. I hadn't finished researching it yet and my mum brings home this little albino axolotl! So basically i need to know some other stuff. The one thing i am doing is getting a 3ft tank off gumtree hopefully, if this is ok to keep it in? I bought some frozen bloodworm to give it aswell. How long will it be before it will need this 3ft tank? It would take me 4 weeks to raise the £40 that the person is asking for. Would it be alright until i get this tank in my quite large, 5.5 gallon? It has plenty of room at the minute.... but obviously i wouldn't have bought it without having the tank ready and set up! I really need some help here as i would love to keep it and the shop don't take fish back! They said to my mum "This is a small, peaceful community amphibian" Yeah right! It get's 12" long!
The info i do know is:
-They potentially but rarely get to 18", more than often they stop growing at 12".
-They are carnivorous.
-They can't live with anything but other axolotls because of their gills.
-It is recommended that 1 axolotl needs a 24"x15"x12" tank with water as deep as the axolotl is long, but better to have a 3ft tank.
-Males have a large "bulge" between their legs, females don't.
-They need water that is in the temperature range of 16-22 degrees Celsius.
-They need a sand substrate so that if they swallow any it doesn't do any harm.
-They need plenty of oxygen in the water.

This is about it really as i never finished researching them! Right now i am looking on the internet and through books about behaviour it shouldn't have, like:
-Curled tail = Stress.
-Rapid gill movements = Not enough oxygen in the water.
-Forward pointing gills/light patches on the skin = Heat stress.

ANY TIPS?!

Alessa x.

Another question!

Do they need de-chlorinated water? I took water from my well established 2ft tropical tank and let it cool to room temp to put the axolotl in.
Please someone help me out! My axolotl is so far so good. He/she isn't as weary about me going near the tank now but is currently hiding in a plant pot that is laying on it's side with sand in to weigh it down.

Alessa x.

Hello!
I know there are people that own axolotls on this forum! I need to know some things about them!
This is my major question! Any other advice on keeping them is welcomed VERY warmly!
Can you use water straight from the tap for W/C/in general?

Alessa x.

I've read that site. That's where i got all the info from. I've also read axolotl.org.

Alessa x.

Thank you for answering the de-chlorinated water question. Hopefully i'll be able to use de-chlorinator instead of leaving a bucket of water to stand for 2-3 days.

Alessa x.

The 5.5G should be fine short term, important thing is to make sure you add established media to the setup so it doesn't have to struggle through a cycle.

It has an established sponge filter because i read that axolotls don't like fast flow. At least i can keep it in there for short term but i'm still hunting around for a 3ft tank that's £40 or under.
It can't be any further than chesterfield either!

Alessa x.

dipsydoodlenoodle what's your username on caudata.org?

Alessa x.

Got some pictures!
They are uploading so i will put them on soon!
Edit:
Here they are!
Photo0091.jpg

Photo0099.jpg

Photo0101.jpg

Photo0102.jpg

Photo0103.jpg

Photo0104.jpg

Alessa x.

The only other thing I didn't notice you say is that they don't like a strong current so get a filter with a low current or use something to diffuse the current. Oh and do a once weekly water change, make sure to suck up uneaten food daily. Good luck with the little guy. I want one SO badly but I don't know anywhere that sells them. I can get one shipped but it's gonna coast me $80 because of the over night shipping cost and I only want one so I don't know if it's worth it.

He's grown another inch. Needing that 3ft tank very soon....... Where in the world can i find one that's low in price and no further out than Chesterfield!?

Alessa x.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back