Axolotl Missing Skin!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
I realize this is a fish forum but if anyone has any experience dealing with axolotls missing skin I would appreciate input as to how to help him grow it back. It appears as though the skin on his leg has been shaved off. I'm not sure how he did it but he seems to have done something stupid.
Here is my best pic of the injury:

How can I stop infection in the wound and will he be able to regrow the skin?

yes.. just keep water conditions optimum (by that keep it cooler than you usually do). Axolotls are known to even regenerate lost gills, tail and limbs so a piece of skin shouldn't be much of a concern. It'll heal in a couple of days. Just make sure it doesn't get infected :)

Ouch! That looks sore. Are they prone to fighting or anything like that?
Have no experience with these so am going to offer the generic advice of keeping the water clean and cooler to prevent bacterial infection. 
Hope it gets better soon.

Okay; thanks tongue flicker .
Mama, mine don't seem to fight, I think he must have gotten spooked and swum away quick and scraped himself on something

WOW howmuch do u pay for one. howmuch space do they need, what do u feed them, where do u get them, how big do they get
how do u breed them

I paid 50 for my dark one and 30 each for my other two. The one you see in the picture is 30$.
They grow large up toa foot. Fortunately they Are very lazy and mostly sit around. They grow more inactive with age. Mine are only 6 inches so are quite active. You will see people reccomend 10 gallons for one but I feel that is very cruel and reccomend a 40 breeder/ 3 foot tank minimum.
I feed mine earthworms every other day via tweezers, they snap at them greedily.
I've never Ttemped breeding mine as they're probably to young anyway

The wound has begun to close up already, I have a feeling for a strong recovery.

The dead skin has begun to fall off and he's even using the injured leg! I think he will be ok.

One of my other axolotls, the leucistic, is having difficulty staying down. He just floats! I've read that this is occasionally due to axolotls needing to defecate, how long will this take?

No, there are pellets you can feed them. But IME axolotls do not like pellets, so I don't recommend them. They usually only snap at living prey.

Most reactions

Back